Monday, July 28, 2008

Trader Joe's Mini Mint Ice Cream Mouthful: Mini on the Satisfaction


I'm going to keep this short and unsatisfying -- just like Trader Joe's new Mini Mint Ice Cream Mouthfuls. The description on the box describes the latest addition to the TJ's freezer section as "mint chip ice-cream between two chocolate wafers," or in other words, too good to be true for the 85 calories that each one contains.

The box is fairly smallish in size, which should have tipped me off that the twelve ice cream sandwiches are not particularly girthy. The "mini" and "mouthfuls" in the title might have done that too, but I was too distracted by the words "mint" and "ice cream" and "chocolate wafers" to do much heavy thinking. (I grocery shop using my emotional cerebral cortex rather than my rational frontal lobe.)

When I opened my box of mouthfuls late Sunday night, I was horrified to discover that the description on the box is not a clever ruse to trick nutritionally-conscious nibblers into purchasing a decadent diet-buster. The ice cream sandwiches really are just mouthfuls. Words do not lie, my friends. They do not lie. Pictures don't either. That is my thumb next to the half-inch thick "sandwiches."

Despite my gut feeling that I was minutes away from singing, "I can't get no satisfaction," I proceeded with "Mission: Dessert." I love Trader Joe's chocolate covered chocolate ice cream bon bons, and am normally quite content after downing merely two of the bite-sized delights. I was optimistic that these mini mint morsels would pack a similar knock-out blow to my late night craving for ice cream -- regardless of their size. I grew up in Newport Beach; I know that it's not the size of the wave that matters -- it's the motion in the ocean.

Confident in my well-honed ability to resist return visits to the freezer, I selected one of the sandwiches and skipped back to the couch to enjoy my after dinner treat. Moments later I was digging back in my freezer for my old standby - two chocolate covered ice cream bon bons.

While the mint chocolate ice cream and accompanying wafers were fine on the flavor scale, they were low on the satisfaction scale. There is potential in this mouthful, but only if said mouthful becomes more of a handful, and stocks more of that minty ice cream goodness between the cookie wafers. As it is, the cookie portion overwhelms the ice cream portion, making for a disproportionate ice cream sandwich that does nothing to quench the ice cream monster that lives in my belly. (He's a much more demanding monster than the cookie monster.)

My advice to curious Trader Joe's patrons? Read the label. If "mini" and "mouthful" sound appealing, buy a box. But if not, heed the wisdom from my thoughtful review. It may not have been as short as previously promised, but sometimes it's nice to get more than expected. I'm a chatty gal; at least I'm always good for more than a mouthful...

5 comments:

Pirikara said...

Hi Diana, Thanks for visiting my site! I recommend visiting Mitsuwa or Nijiya for ingredients since it seems you're in the LA area. I don't think I've seen gobo or enoki at Whole Foods.

Jennie said...

I also felt like the "cookie" lost it's "crumble" when sandwiched between the ice cream. Who likes a soggy sandwich?

tpatricco said...

It's all about having realistic expectations. Perhaps that is why you are disappointed.

I thought they were perfectly yummy, but I wasn't expecting something fresh out of Martha Stewart's kitchen either.

MusicTvGuy said...

The Trader Joe's mini mint is a favorite of both myself and my girlfriend. The fact that it's now three years later after you wrote the review testifies to some satisfaction among the masses....

mybolgsallgood said...

I need some of them in coming summer. I Love Ice-cream. Will try your recipes. My blog: portable dvd player reviews