Thursday, August 14, 2008

M Cafe de Chaya: I love you. I really really love you.

For the past three years, I have lived approximately 1.1 miles away from the casual West Hollywood eatery M Cafe de Chaya, a vegetarian's oasis for fiberlicious food and people-watching. Of course, one doesn't have to be opposed to the ingestion of flesh to appreciate the "contemporary macrobiotic food" proffered at this trendy cafe.

The brilliance behind M Cafe de Chaya lies with its ability to take potentially off-putting items like kale, tempeh and quinoa, and make them good. Really good. So good that I sort of hate myself for waiting 37 months to make the short trek down Melrose Avenue to give them a test drive on my tongue.

My avoidance of the cafe didn't make any sense. I'm not scared of tofu and its occasionally jiggly texture. I love tempeh. And I really love eating (hence the whole blog thing). I was acting like a school girl with a crush -- ignoring M Cafe de Chaya instead of declaring my love and devotion to his potentially scrumptious eats and "treats."

This past week, a Yelp friend of mine from Norwalk posted a glowing four-star review for the object of my future affection. I sent him a comment, telling him that even though I lived just down the street, I'd never been to M Cafe de Chaya before, and he immediately chided me for driving all the way to Silverlake for gelato , while "[passing] up my hood for some good veggie grubbin'." His response hit my undernourished belly hard. It was time to bite the vegetarian bullet. It was time to try M Cafe de Chaya.

Madras tempeh wrap and kale with spicy peanut sauce

This past Saturday, August 9th at approximately 1:15 pm, I took my first bite of M Cafe's Madras Tempeh Wrap ($10.75) with masala-baked tempeh, brown basmati rice, toasted almonds, raisins, frizzled onions, and crisp vegetables with curried soy yogurt dressing in a whole wheat lavash. Approximately 30 seconds later, I took my first bite of the kale with spicy peanut sauce. And approximately 30 seconds after that, I made my much belated declaration of love to the eatery that was right in front of me the whole time I was making mad missions across LA for inferior food.

And the best part? I know M Cafe's fresh, healthy fare won't ever break my heart.


Hari said...

tempeh..brown rice..chaya..almonds..raisins..hearts..

[Too busy salivating at the picture to think or write anything coherent]

Diana H. said...

I'm too busy trying to figure out when I can get back there for another one! So good.

Futile Sniffer said...

I love the M Cafe de Chaya! I too have had the kale, Yummy! I am jealous that you live so close to such a wonderful place.

Also, I am adding you to my blogroll. I am new at this and don't really know the etiquette behind it all, nor do I care too much. All I know is that if I like a blog, I add it to my list. Keep up the delicious dining, because I will be reading :)