Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pain du Monde: Crazy for Cookies (and really good lattes)

By now I have firmly established that I have a wee bit of a sweet tooth. I like to think it's the result of my sweet personality, but I am fairly certain that regardless of my propensity to say "please" and "thank you" and hold doors open for the elderly, I would still maintain an innate desire to devour anything that contains chocolate or sugar. Simply put, it's genetic. My mom is equally inclined to make dessert the most important meal of the day, and together, we do an excellent job of eating through the cookie supply in Orange County.

While our favorite cookie is currently the chocolate chip cookie at Vie de France at South Coast Plaza, we can't always fulfill our shopping needs at Santa Ana's pride and glory. We often get the Anthropologie itch, and in such circumstances wind up spending the afternoon at Fashion Island rather than the inland mega mall off the 405. Because shopping with my mother goes hand in hand with cookie ingestion, we have been forced to find another cookie that pleases our palates. That cookie is the Coco Loco at Pain du Monde in Atrium Court.

The sizable, thick cookie (the perfect size for sharing) is chock full of warm chocolate chips, toasted pecan pieces, coconut, oatmeal, and most likely, lots and lots of butter. Cookies are known to contain a cube or two. Fortunately, the decadent cookie is satisfying enough that eating half while sipping a cup of Mighty Tea Jasmine Spring tea is a fabulous way to break the diet without really breaking the diet. We don't really diet anyway, but it's fun to pretend to be virtuous. Like when I order one of their exquisitely foamy vanilla or mocha lattes and consider it "good for me" because it contains milk. My bones are going to be uber strong when I grow up to be my mom. I say "no" to osteoporosis!

And "yes" to Pain du Monde's Coco Loco cookie. I much prefer my cookies to be crazy than the chicken at that slightly disturbing El Pollo Loco place. Who wants to eat a crazy chicken? Just give me the eggs for my cookies and then go cross the road in front of another OC driver in a Hummer.

No comments: