Monday, September 15, 2008

Cilantro and Ginger Baked Tilapia: A Birthday Party on a (Fancy) Plate

I recently read in the October issue of Women's Health magazine that in Japan it is considered polite to slurp up soba noodles. As I noisely chowed down on my Cilantro and Ginger Baked Tilapia with soba noodles and stir-fried veggies last night, I was glad that my roommate wasn't around to witness my "polite" behavior. The dish, which I found on the Kitchn site and have improvised upon with my addition of the aforementioned soba noodles and veggies, is one of the best and easiest home-cooked meals I've ever tasted. It was the perfect way to test out the brand new Crate and Barrel square plate my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday so that my blog pictures could look more artistic.

Of course, with food this pretty, who even needs a plate? Or fork for that matter?

Okay, maybe I still need a fork, but only because I don't like to get my hands dirty. (Though I might make and exception for this killer recipe.) I followed the instructions fairly closely, but did omit the optional jalepeno pepper, and made extra broth so I could use some for stir-frying my veggies and noodles. I selected broccoli, snow peas, green onions, and bok choy for a festival of green, but think that bean sprouts would go well in the dish as well. For artistic purposes, I stuck with green on white. Because it really is all about the pictures right?

[Insert happy slurping noise here]

Err... maybe not completely, but now that I'm 25 and really grown-up, I'm quite alright doing my polite slurping off of fancy square plates.

1 comment:

The George said...

This is very true. Slurpping is considered apporpriate. i will have to show you how. I had to learn how to do it a while back. Long story but I made the sale.