Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Honeycrisp Apples: The Best Apples Ever

For years and years, my favorite apple was the Pink Lady. In spite of its often unattractive and nubby exterior, I was enamored with the firmness of the apple's pure white flesh and its sweet, tart taste. I would think nothing of dropping $2.99 a pound on the luscious apples, convinced that a $1+ for a piece of delicious fruit was worth the strain to my bank account. The Pink Lady was it for me -- I didn't think I would ever find an apple that would make me as financially irresponsible. Until my college roommate Caroline introduced me to the Honeycrisp during the fall of our senior year.

I was skeptical at first. Upon feeling up a couple apples at our local Whole Foods market, I wasn't sure that the Honeycrisp would pass my firmness test. I can't stand a mushy or mealy apple, and the slight give of the soft green and red flecked skin under my thumb made me mildly suspicious. I selected two apples and then headed over to the Pink Lady display to furnish the rest of my supply for the week.

A couple days later (once I had depleted my Pink Lady supply), I decided it was time to give the Honeycrisp a whirl. I took a small, tentative first bite. And then I took a big bite, groaning in pleasure as the thin skin gave way to the crisp, airy cream-colored flesh. Sweet juices dribbled down my chin as I devoured the entire apple straight to the core. The remaining core pieces crumbled in my hands, completely ravaged after the attack from my greedy teeth. It was a revolutionary moment. Since that fateful day, I have fully surrounded myself to an unwavering adoration for the Honeycrisp apple.

Unfortunately, the Honeycrisp apple is not as loyal. Because the harvest season ranges from September 15 to October 10th (Honeycrisp.org), Honeycrisp apples are only available for a short time in the fall, and as a result, are exceedingly expensive. The apple pictured above cost me $2.82 from my local Whole Foods, and so far this year, I haven't seen the apples priced below $3 a pound. I want to cut the Honeycrisp out of my life, but it's just so good when it hits my lips. It makes me forget that I spent $7 on three apples this past Saturday. It makes me forget that Pink Ladies exist. And it makes me forget that the country is in the throes of the worst economic recession since the Depression.

Of course, I can always justify it this way -- an apple a day keeps the doctor away. And a Honeycrisp apple a day keeps my frowns at bay.

7 comments:

Alessandra said...

I once spent $18 on a bag of cherries at Whole Foods. That should make you feel better about your overpriced apple addiction!

Diana H. said...

I knew you'd understand!!! Fruit this good should not be passed up!

Esi said...

I just tasted one at the Hollywood Farmers market a few weeks ago! So amazing, but still around 3 bucks a pound. Boo

Ashley said...

My neighbor growing up in Minnesota had a honeycrisp apple tree in his backyard. And he willingly shared his bounty! So good!

Futile Sniffer said...

Are honeycrisps exceptionally large? I was at whole foods looking for apples recently and I saw the name honeycrisp, but just grabbed the giant apple I saw because I was amazed at how big it was. But my oversized apple looks like the one in your picture (same type of spotting). Hmm... yay apples! :)

Diana H. said...

Yes! They are HUGE! It makes me think that they can't possibly be organic (even if the label says so). I have seen smaller ones at Gelson's and at various farmer's markets, but for some reason the ones at WH are ginormous!

Futile Sniffer said...

Nice. I haven't eaten mine yet. I'm a little intimidated by it's size. It's a whole lot of apple! But, your post is very encouraging and helpful.