Friday, October 31, 2008

Scharffen Berger Dark Chocolate Nibby Bar: Just Right

I don't normally succumb to check-out stand temptations. The allure of a Snickers bar or Twix just isn't as potent as it was when I was a small child with indiscriminate taste buds. My tongue has become accustomed to higher quality chocolate -- chocolate that is dark and rich and deep with cocoa flavor. Such chocolate doesn't typically hibernate near the cash register -- unless of course, the cash register is at Gelson's market, a truly "super" market with the price tags and shiny, unblemished apples to prove it.

A couple months ago, as I was checking out of my local Gelson's, my eyes fell upon a display of Scharffen Berger Dark Chocolate Nibby bars. I appreciated the small size (and the sale price of $1.50), so I impulsively added one to my loot. I didn't care to partake in the bar that day, so relegated it to a place in my office desk drawer until desire struck. The bar was all but forgotten until last Friday, when I finally decided it was time to give my deep dark chocolate cravings a kick in the pants.

When I unwrapped the 1 oz. bar, I was somewhat surprised by its girth and size. The four substantial pieces seemed far too big to only contain 160 calories. I immediately logged onto the site and found the nutrition information. Yep, only 160 calories and 11 grams of fat (7 grams of the pesky saturated kind). Nonplussed by my mental images of the saturated fat clinging to the walls of my arteries, I took a sip of my green tea and dug in.

The chocolate snapped off in my mouth with authority, immediately blanketing my tongue with a rich chocolate duvet of flavor. I was heady with pleasure as I proceeded to bite my way through the decadent bar. The cacoa nibs added just the right amount of crunch without becoming a distraction from the bitter dark chocolate, and the contrast of textures made it some what remiscent of a Krackle bar -- albeit an upscale, adult version. (I doubt that many kids would find this treat as enjoyable as a Snickers.)

While I find some dark chocolate (specifically Green & Black Organic) to be too bitter for my palate, the 62% cacoa in Scharffen Berger's Nibby offering was perfect. As I polished off the last square of my mid-afternoon treat, I felt a little like Goldilock's. I had found my "just right dark chocolate bar." It is simple, yet profound. It makes a statement, yet isn't overbearing. It is indulgent, yet not a diet destructor.

And it gives me a reason to impulse shop every time I check out at Gelson's.


Esi said...

I usually don't succumb to the "treats" at the checkout stand unless it's gum or US Weekly, but this looks like a good one.

Satria Sudeki said...

your posting is really informative, and that's really usefull for me, actually I have the related blog like you, I hope you can check on, I hope it will be usefull for u.

Shana said...

Great description!

Futile Sniffer said...

(finally catching up)....

I love the Nibby bar! I got it a month or so ago after reading about it on the Candy Blog. I totally agree with you; it's a great chocolate bar to eat :)

I bought mine at Cost Plus, but I don't remember how much it cost. I wonder if it is cheaper at Gelsons :)