Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The "I Ate Too Much Candy Last Night" Sandwich

I was only going to have a couple Hershey's Kisses. I don't even really like Hershey's chalky chocolate, but it was Halloween, I couldn't drink more than one alcoholic beverage for fear of a potential DUI (and the accompanying orange-colored jumper), and my sweet tooth would not shut its obnoxious trap.

"C'mon Diana. Give it to me. Give it to me. I want it now!" It cried, angry that I had been so inattentive to feeding it that day.

I sighed, unwrapped the nearest Kiss and popped it into my mouth.

"Ya happy?" I asked, as the bite-sized chocolate gave way under the pressure of my teeth. It melted onto my tongue, and my not-so-satisfied-sweet tooth was immediately put on high alert. It was better than I (and it) had remembered.

"More!" It screeched like the Wicked Witch of the West. "I want more!"

Four, possibly five, sensual Kisses later (coincidentally, my only kisses of the night), I decided to cut my slutty little tooth off. And then I saw it.

The 100 Grand bar. It was nestled inside the trick-or-treating plastic pumpkin that my friends had used earlier that evening. I tried to look away, but the allure of the 100 Grand and its milk chocolate covered caramel and crispy rice was far too great. The red package screamed at me from the pumpkin, rudely interrupting the conversation I was holding with Mrs. T. I smiled feebly at her as I reached for the fun-sized treat.

I didn't eat it right away. I tucked it in my Hobo clutch (an appropriate accessory for my fierce Heidi Klum costume) and continued playing the charade of an adult's Halloween. While I was enjoying the company of my friends, part of me wished I could be celebrating the holiday like a little kid. Dressing up as Rapunzel or a respectably dressed cheerleader rather than a scantily dressed model/reality show host showing an obscene amount of leg. I wanted to be sitting cross-legged in my parents' family room, sorting out my candy by brand and counting how many Snickers, Milky Ways and Sugar Daddy's I had. I didn't want to be monitoring my intake of "Witch's Brew" (a delightful concoction made with champagne, vodka, sherbet, 7-up, and juice), nor did I want to be monitoring my chocolate consumption. I wanted to eat with abandon until my stomach hurt and my parents had to cut me off and send me to bed.

When I arrived home later that night, I snuggled into my down comforter with my precious 100 Grand bar -- the only piece of candy I'd managed to secure on a holiday that used to bring me a month full of lunch bag desserts. I tore through the surprisingly delightful bargain bin bar, but my desire for a full-blown sugar high remained intact. It was then that I remembered the See's candy pops my mother had given me a few weeks prior. With nobody present to tell me to stop, and unable to decide between the chocolate and butterscotch flavors, I proceeded to eat both.

As I chomped down on the last bite of the butterscotch pop (I've never quite mastered the ability to lick my way to the end), I suddenly felt the rush I craved. My head throbbed, my teeth ached and my veins pulsed with energy. I scrubbed my candy-coated teeth clean, and finally satisfied, curled back into bed with a book.

The next morning, my head was still humming with the remnants of a sugar headache. Fueled by my over indulgence in simple carbs, I powered through a 7.5 mile run and then set about remedying the ache in my belly through fruit and vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables.

My lunch that day (pictured above) contained no less than six different kinds of green and antioxidant-laden things. Edamame, red pepper, zucchini, shallots, tomato, and green leaf lettuce were all included in the new "stash" I craved. I roasted my red pepper, zucchini and shallots in the oven with a light sprinkling of salt, pepper and olive oil, sliced my tomato in thin slices, and boiled some frozen edamame for a protein-hearty side. After I drained my edamame pods (takes approximately 5 minutes), I toasted two pieces of Milton's whole wheat bread, spread some Tribe red pepper hummus on one side and then loaded it with my red pepper, zucchini, shallots, and tomatoes. I sprinkled a restrained amount of goat cheese over the top, and finished my sugar-detox sandwich off with a piece of green leaf lettuce and my other slice of bread.

Sitting down to my healthy lunch, it felt good to be a responsible adult again. Especially since I was also fully-clothed. (Jeans and cozy wool sweaters are way more comfortable than short shorts.)


Esi said...

7.5 mile run? You are a much better person than me. I layed in bed and ordered Thai food that day. The sandwich looks great and reminds me a little of my favorite sandwich from Bristol Farms!

Heather said...

i was in a sugar coma the other day, too. this sandwich looks delicious!

Futile Sniffer said...

5 kisses, 1 100 grand mini bar, and 2 pops is too much candy? :(

I guess I'm still a child :)

Such a good idea on the costume! And the Witch's Brew sounds so good and strong!

Diana H. said...

I didn't mention the chocolate chips I had before I left for the party! ;)

Nicole said...

umm, i may just steal this sandwich recipe tomorrow. i have freshly purchased miltons bread and am hitting up the farmers market tomorrow. i am just going to change 2 things: 1: i am going to skip the run because i would keel over and die and 2: substitute another cheese for the goat cheese because i am not a fan. but that sandwich sounds delicious! :) and the side dish of edamame too of course!