Saturday, November 29, 2008

Leftover Turkey Sandwiches: The Best Part of Thankgiving


I could care less about chowing down on the leftover sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, or cream corn casserole. I have no desire to dig into the rapidly rotting pumpkin pie. And the thought of dipping a finger back into the gravy boat makes my stomach churn like the ice cream maker my dad used to make mint chocolate chip ice cream with when my brothers and I were younger.

After a night of gorging on an absurd amount of simple carbohydrates, nuts, giblets and carcass drippings, the last thing I want to do is give my stomach a second food baby the next day. Of course, that doesn't mean I shun all the goodies that make it away from the table unscathed by my family's chompers. Every year, I find that the most enjoyable part of the Thanksgiving spread is the leftover turkey breast I get to use in a sandwich the following day. Topped with an ample dollop of my dad's homemade cranberry relish (made with fresh oranges and orange zest), it is a treat for my taste buds that are accustomed to mundane turkey sandwiches made with Boar's Head Maple Honey deli slices and Trader Joe's Sweet & Spicy Mustard. The difference between the latter sandwich and the former, made with fresh, succulent slices of my dad's barbecued bird, is almost disturbing. It's like I am using an entirely different kind of meat, and I look forward to it every year.

I love the sandwiches so much that I sometimes feel compelled to hide extra breast meat in the fridge so that no one eats it. Some may find that a bit selfish/crazy/neurotic, but "Friends" aficionados will understand. It still pains me to think of poor Ross' "moist-maker sandwich" that was stolen and eaten by one of his evil co-workers. While I think a gravy-soaked slice of bread sounds rather repulsive, fresh turkey breast is a precious commodity! It's Thanksgiving gold -- the center of the holiday, and the center of that glorious next day sandwich.

5 comments:

Esi said...

I'm not huge on Thanksgiving food so leftovers don't really appeal to me, but this sandwich looks good. Unfortunately, the turkey I consumed was a little dry and tasteless so no sandwiches with that one!

Tokyoastrogirl said...

I pretty much make a turkey for Thanksgiving just to have sandwiches. Yours looks like I need to eat it for lunch. Right now!

Heather said...

mmm. that looks delicious. i love leftover turkey sandwiches, too. there's a bagel place near me (bruggers) that makes a sandwich called the gobbler that's really good. i don't know if they have them on the w. coast. i'm glad you got the cookies safe and sound :) they're delicious!!!! do not notice the 5 grams of fat per cookie ;)

Diana said...

Esi - Too bad about the dry bird. :( I bet if you'd been in the kitchen it would have been perfect!

Tuna Toast (is that what I'm supposed to call you?) - I am seriously thinking about roasting turkey breasts on Sundays so I can have yummy turkey sandwiches during the week! Probably be cheaper than the $11.99/lb Boar's Head I typically buy!

Heather - We do have Bruegger's out here! I didn't realize they have sandwiches there too -- I'll have to check it out! Right after I dig into a 5 fat gram cookie... ;)

Ashley said...

I had almost forgotten about the moist-maker episode! Hahahaha. The part I remember of that episode is the sound of Ross's voice reverberating through the city. Oh man, I need to invest in the DVDs.