Cue obnoxious "Auld Lang Syne" song that most people hate and nobody with a pulse knows the words to, and break out the bubbly! With 2009 mere hours away, it is that special time of year when everyone and their Yorkshire terrier starts breaking out their top ten lists for the passing year. While I enjoy jumping on band wagons about as much as I enjoy eating olives (wink, wink to Esi), I would be remiss to not acknowledge all the wonderful things my mouth has encountered during the past 364 days. (Lips and olives not included)
Without any further meaningless filler, here (in no particular order other than how they popped into my head) are my "top ten" favorite bites of the year.
1. Baby Beet Salad from Fraiche - The only time beets have ever made me say "wow." The crunchy hazelnuts and luscious ricotta may have something to do with my reaction, but regardless, this first course plate is one of my favorites in the city.
2. Clams, garlic, oregano, parmigiano & pecorino pizza from Pizzeria Mozza - There are no words to describe my feelings for this pie -- just moans of approval.
3. Albacore carpaccio with diced chili ponzu warm olive oil from Bar Hayama - This dish may need to steal M&Ms' tagline. While I didn't attempt to eat it with my hands (I'm a lady like that), it definitely melted into my mouth like a creamy chocolate candy.
4. Arroz negro with squid from A.O.C. - I am still thinking about the last kernels of rice my roommate and I left in the pan.
5. Beef Brasato with polenta & horseradish gremolata from Osteria Mozza - Consumed pre-blog, this sensuous entree is the ultimate form of comfort food.
6. Tempeh Madras wrap and kale side salad from M Cafe de Chaya - Who knew kale could taste this good?
7. Peanut Butter Bubba French toast from the Griddle Cafe - Sweet, salty and dripping with calories, this breakfast of carboholic champions would put even a linebacker in a sugar coma.
8. SusieCakes' June Cupcake of the Month - A vanilla cupcake studded with strawberries and white chocolate chips, and covered with vanilla butter cream frosting. Red velvet, what? Red velvet, who?
9. NY Times Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie - Eaten approximately 90 minutes after it came out of the oven, this cookie had me swooning with its crisp edges, soft center and loads of chocolate chips.
10. Open-faced asparagus sandwich - So craveably good that I made it six times in the course of an eight day period.
Lamb spezzatino and monkfish francaise entrees at Fraiche, Nancy's Chopped Salad from Pizzeria Mozza, the Liberty Ranch duck from A.O.C., Papardelle with oxtail ragout from Osteria Mozza, the Whoopie Pie from SusieCakes, Spicy tuna on crispy rice from Bar Hayama
Happy New Year!