Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Turkey Noodle Vegetable Soup: The Food Baby Antidote

It hurt. It hurt bad. As I pushed out my chair from the dining room table last Friday afternoon, I felt disgusted with myself.

"I shouldn't have eaten that cookie." I told my mom, rubbing the sides of my stomach like I could undo the damage with the touch of my hand.

I peered down sadly at my distended belly, straining against my pink Henley shirt from the turkey sandwich, salad and chocolate chip cookie I'd just devoured for lunch . "Look at it."

"Yeah, you definitely look at least six weeks pregnant," My mom responded with a wry smile.

Groaning from the weight of my food baby, I made her come with me to "walk it off." Our fifteen minute jaunt around the neighborhood didn't help much, and I knew that I would most likely not be able to eat much for the rest of the day. Of course, because I never skip meals, dinner was still an inevitability. It would just have to be light, healthy and soothing to my overworked gastric sack. It would have to be soup.

I have never really made soup from scratch before. Typically I rely on the sad Lipton Chicken Noodle packets (I purchase the ones that come without the nasty dehydrated chicken pieces) for my base, and then I add in extra goodies - vegetables, beans, etc. On Friday, however, I decided it was time to break away from the flavor packets and channel my souptastic-making roommate and all the fabulous cooking bloggers whose recipes put me to shame on a daily basis (ahem, Esi from Dishing Up Delights and Heather from Diary of a Fanatic Foodie). Using only my gut instinct and the annoying voice in my head, I came up with the following recipe for a turkey noodle vegetable soup to help expedite the birth of my food baby.

The result? It was a girl. And the soup was really good.

Turkey Noodle Vegetable Soup
(Makes 2 entree-sized portions)

4 cups of water
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon chicken base
3/4 cup orecchiette pasta
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen edamame, shelled
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 cup green beans, diced
1/2 cup cooked turkey breast, shredded or cubed
Fresh thyme, parsley
Sprinkle of celery seed
Pepper, salt
1 tablespoon Sherry (optional)

1. Saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil in a medium-sized heavy pot. Add celery, carrots, and continue to saute for another minute or so.

2. Pour in the four cups of water and the chicken bouillon base - bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta, green beans, and edamame. Once the soup has begun to boil again, reduce the heat and simmer.

3. Season the broth with the thyme, parsley, pepper, celery seed, and salt (to taste), and then add the turkey and Sherry so the flavors have time to blend.

4. Simmer until pasta and veggies are fully cooked, and the broth is cloudy in appearance. (Approximately 20 minutes)

5. Serve with saltines or oyster crackers. (Or a grilled cheese sandwich if there is no food baby present.)


Esi said...

Soup from scratch is the best!! This looks delish. I hope your food baby has gone away :)

Heather said...

what did you name her?! this sound sreally good. soup making is fun, huh? your house always smells soooooo good. thanks for the shout out :)

Diana said...

Esi - Thanks! I think it has! But don't worry, I'm sure I'll have another pregnancy to write about within the week!

Heather - I named her Girtha, and have registered for her at Anthropologie. ;) Soup making is fun! I feel inspired to try new recipes now -- maybe even a... gasp... pureed version!

RG said...

I came across your blog when googling something about Burke Williams...and I'm hooked! This is such a good recipe, I tried it with turkey left overs too :)

At some point, I have tried most of the stuff you blogged about and gone to most of the places. I totally agree with you on so many things!

But I must ask, how DO you stay so thin?

Diana said...

RG - Your comment brought the biggest smile to my face! I'm so glad you liked the soup -- I think I need to make a pot of it again soon! :)

As far as staying thin, the quick/easy answer would be that I have good genes and a fast metabolism, but there is more to it than that. I do workout regularly and try to brown bag it for lunch and cook most of meals at home so that when I do eat out (about 1-3x a week) or choose to indulge, I can really "go for the gold." ;)