Monday, January 12, 2009

Inglehoffer Sweet Honey Mustard: Thank God I Found You

Whenever I hear the Dandy Warhol's song "We Used to Be Friends," it makes me think of my friend Hank. We used to watch "Veronica Mars" together before the CW thoughtlessly crushed the brilliant show into oblivion and would sing along to the catchy theme song whenever it was on.

Whenever I hear the song "All I Want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey, I think of my college roommates Ali and Caroline. During our senior year, we regularly blasted the holiday diddy in our apartment and belted out the lyrics like we were auditioning for "American Idol."

And, starting today, whenever I hear Mariah's "Thank God I Found You," I will immediately associate it with Inglehoffer's Sweet Honey Mustard -- the glorious condiment that is the perfect replacement for the late Trader Joe's Hot & Sweet Mustard.

When Trader Joe's discontinued Hot & Sweet early last month, I thought that my turkey sandwiches would never be the same again -- that I would be forever disappointed by inferior sandwich spreads and imposters. I begrudgingly placed my weekly orders for Boar's Head Maple Glazed Turkey, fully aware that the sweet savory goodness would not have its ideal sweet savory companion. After a lackluster experience with Trader Joe's Cranberry Apple Butter, I was beginning to think I might need to abadon sandwiches altogether.

Because what is a sandwich without spread?

Dry. Very very dry.

The dire situation called for immediate remedy, and it was at this pivotal junture that Inglehoffer's Sweet Honey Mustard leapt to my attention. The cute little four ounce jar called out to me from its position on the shelf at my local specialty market, Monsier Marcel at the Third Street/Fairfax Farmer's Market, and I instincitively knew that something truly magical was about to happen.

The next day, I smeared my turkey and provolone with the spread, and tore into the sandwich like it was a meatball sub and I was Joey on "Friends." The pungent mustard flavor immediately pierced into my tongue - rounding out my lunch with near perfect proportions of sweet and spicy goodness. As I made my way through my two diagonally-cut halves, I relished the burn in my nose from the accumulation of heat from the mustard. Despite my adoration for the Hot & Sweet, I couldn't help but notice that Inglehoffer's version posses a great depth of flavor. It is better. Much better.

Today, Hot & Sweet is quickly enroute to becoming a forgotten memory. I'm singing a new tune now, and it goes a little something like...

Thank God I found you
I was lost without you
My every wish and every dream
Somehow became reality
When you brought the sunlight
Completed my whole life
I'm overwhelmed with gratitude
Cause baby I'm so thankful I found you.

Note for interested consumers: Inglehoffer mustards have been spotted at Safeway/Vons/Pavilions markets, and Ralph's.


The Blonde Duck said...

Ode to the mustard and how we love thee!

Esi said...

I'm pretty sure I have seen this in the grocery store, but thank the heavens for Monsieur Marcel!!!!

Erica said...

hahahhahahaha. I bet Mariah was thinking of that mustard when she wrote that song! I will be doing a review on the bumbles tonight...they're kind of eh

Heather said...

i'm so happy for you and your newly found love :) hopefully you will have many, many years of sweet and spicy togetherness :)

Diana said...

Miranda - I feel the same way about the mustard as your hubby does about cinnamon toast! There never was a love like this before... ;)

Esi - I love love love Monsieur Marcel! I could walk around the little aisles for hours (being careful to avoid the cannisters of olives of course...).

Erica - She totally was! Mustard is totally sunshine colored!

Heather - Thank you! We are registering for some stinky cheeses tomorrow.

Columbus Foodie said...

Inglehoffer also makes a Cranberry mustard that is absolutely divine on a panini with turkey and brie.

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for the Sweet Honey variety. It sounds delicious.

Sarah said...

Thank you, thank you!! I just found out TJ's discontinued our family's favorite mustard, and with an entire Ham waiting to be eaten, I need a quick replacement for this favorite accompaniment! I will head to Safeway and get Inglehoffer! You're a mealsaver! :)