Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Omelet Fail

I've mastered (sort of) the fried egg. I've successfully hard boiled eggs without achieving the dreaded grey ring around the yolk, and I can more or less scramble an egg sans catastrophe. When it comes to omelets, however, I fail miserably. More often than not, they become scrambles, or turn out looking like the mess pictured above.

Despite my continued struggles to recreate the golden omelets that I enjoy at my regular brunch spots, I still maintain a secret hope that one day I will achieve three-egg perfection. So when I read an article in this month's issue of Oprah Magazine about how to make said perfect omelet, I decided it was time to try my hand at the skillet once again.

I read over the instructions carefully before I began. I let my three eggs sit out a little while to come to "room temperature," I used a combination of oil and butter in my 8-inch nonstick frying pan, and I whisked my eggs before salting and peppering them. I confidently poured the frothy mixture into the pan (properly heated to medium-high heat) and armed myself with a spatula. As the eggs began to firm up, I ran the spatula under the edges, pushing the cooked bits to the center so the rest of the oozing yellow liquid could cook as well. I don't know when things went wrong, but the next thing I knew, the omelet was done and folded into a state that made it impossible to insert my filling. With my roommate looking on in what I imagine to be mock horror, I sliced the omelet in half, and shoved my cooked spinach and feta cheese in the center.

It was not pretty. Nor was it particularly tasty.

Part of me wants to give up on omelets entirely, but the other part (the competitive freak who gets her thrills from passing slow joggers on the street) can't let go of the hope that someday I will create the "real omelet" that Julia Child called "an art of the highest magnitude."

Until then, it's scribbles with Crayolas. Stay tuned...

7 comments:

Esi said...

Sorry it was a fail. I gotta say, it looks better than any omelet I have ever attempted which is why I make "scrambles".

Alessandra said...

I totally just failed at making an omelet as well!!It's tough!

Heather said...

it still looks delicious! i'm sorry it didn't pan out (haha) for you ;)

Diana said...

Esi, Heather - Thanks for giving my sad little omelet some love! Someday I will prevail over the egg!

Ali - Thanks for the back-up -- it is tough!

The Blonde Duck said...

I can tell you how to make a cheddar omelet. If I can do it, you can! :)

Apples and Butter said...

The only way I have ever been able to get great omelets is by using a lot of oil. Then, when you think you're about 30 seconds away from being finished, pile your prepared fillings in the middle of the omelet and let it cook for a few more seconds before flipping over.

At least it has worked in the past - but like I said, a lot of oil is necessary and it's certainly not healthy!

Diana said...

Duckie - Hmmm... I do like chedder...

Apples - You're probably right about the oil - I didn't use very much to make mine the other night and that probably made a huge difference in terms of flavor.