Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Mornings with Tea: A Match Made in Coffee Bean Heaven

"What should I write about this morning?" I asked my mom, as I stared blankly at the empty blog template. I scrunched up my shoulder to hold the cell phone to my ear and scanned my blog drafts for inspiration.

I could write about the See's dark chocolate and almond bar I ate a few weeks ago that failed to impress... or my first encounter with "peeeecaaaan pie" from Let Them Eat Cake... or...

"Your dinner last night?" My mom suggested, interrupting my internal debate.

I made a face. "Nah, I want to save that for a week day post..."

It normally isn't this hard, I thought bitterly, wondering if I should just forgo my post this morning and start packing up my things so I could get on the road for my nearly ritualistic weekend trip home.

I immediately blanched at the thought. I was enjoying my quiet Saturday morning in my apartment -- the soft background noise of my default channel, CNN, percolating the room, the unseasonably bright sunlight streaming through the translucent curtains, and my teapot of Coffee Bean Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearl sitting beside me.

"Mom, I gotta go." I said, flush with inspiration.

How is it possibly that I have gone nine months without ever posting about my favorite tea and my favorite morning, afternoon and post-dinner pastime? I thought with bewilderment.

I don't just love tea, I live by it. It is as much a part of my morning routine as my morning workout or my breakfast date with the semi-egregious LA Times newspaper (compared to the NY Times). My cupboards are stocked with the stuff -- Whittard of Chelsea's Green Peach, Tazo Zen, Tazo Calm, Le Palais de Thes' Brioche, The Republic of Tea's Blueberry Green (great for making iced tea), and of course, my favorite, Coffee Bean's Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearl.

I wish I could wax poetic about the delicate well-balanced flavor, but my palate is not as fine-tuned to the complexities of tea as it is to, say, the complexities of chocolate. Or ice cream. Or wine and cheese. Plus, that whole "it tastes of earth with the essence of rose petals" nonsense can sound a bit pretentious, and tea time is not pretentious time. Except maybe in London. Or at the London Hotel or one of those other posh Beverly Hills hotels that serves high afternoon tea with miniature scones and smoked salmon finger sandwiches. I'm sure that is all fine and lovely, but I'm perfectly content sitting at my dining room table whilst I drain cup after cup of Coffee Bean's Jasmine tea without any absurdly small food products. I can slurp it down like I'm a college student guzzling from a 40-ounce can of Pabst Blue Ribbon and still want more. Regardless of the pace at which I drink my favorite hot morning or afternoon beverage it always calms me -- puts my mind at ease, prepares me for my day and recharges my spirit.

Or some other goobly gook like that. I'm not so into the whole Zen, serenity now, chi stuff -- I just like the tea. And the ability to linger in my apartment on a beautiful Saturday morning.


Esi said...

I could use some tea right now...well I could use a lot of things right now...especially food and/or more sleep. I love tea though and I just got a Coffee Bean gift card, I will have to check this out.

Heather said...

i loooooooooove jasmin pearls, too. i bought some ome from australia that are just amazingly good. i ration them wisely, but am running low. teavana sells them around here, but they're not as good as these.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'd like to hear more about the peeeeeeeeecaaaaaaaannnnnnnn pie. :)

Diana said...

Esi - Definitely try it! Everyone I have introduced to it becomes addicted to the stuff!

Heather - My brother and sister-in-law gave me the Teavana version for Christmas! It came with the cutest little tea cup! I just love that sort of thing. Simple pleasures... :)

Duckie - Love love love the pecan pie!