Saturday, January 3, 2009

Trader Joe's Cranberry Apple Butter: Majorly Meh


It took me a few moments to come up with the "Majorly Meh" descriptor for Trader Joe's newest addition to its nut butters and jam collection. It would be easy if the Cranberry Apple Butter was overtly bad, but its not. The taste is fine -- there's just not enough of it.

The first time I introduced the silky spread to my turkey sandwich, I applied a restrained amount. I wasn't sure how well I would like it and wasn't keen to defile my turkey sam if the butter ended up being a bust. I didn't expect that I would have no reaction to the nondescript product at all. I piled more on the sandwich, hoping the extra amount might ramp up the cranberry flavor on my palate, but rather than giving the sandwich the extra oomph I craved, I only succeeded in rendering my lunch into a drippy mess. By the time I took my final bite, my plate resembled a crime scene in "Dexter."

In the couple weeks since the cranberry butter made its debut on my turkey sandwich, I've made several other attempts to force myself into liking the spread. I keep hoping it will magically transform into something great, like the dearly departed Hot & Sweet Mustard that used to bring my sandwiches so much joy, but the butter has continued to be a disappointment. I keep wishing that there were big chunks of cranberry in there to add some sort of texture to the product. While I realize the addition of anything chunky would negate the "butter" quality, I really don't see any need to call it a "butter" at all. There isn't any butter in it. It doesn't really have a butter-like consistency unless said butter has been left out on the counter until it becomes a bit mushy, and the consumers in the market for fruit-type spreads for their sandwiches and crackers are most likely in search of a healthy alternative to mayo and such and don't necessarily want a topping with "butter" in the title. Or they just really really like cranberries like me.

Regardless, the "cranberry apple butter" that is not really a butter and doesn't taste like cranberries or apples, is not doing it for me or my turkey sams. I want my Hot & Sweet Mustard back.

9 comments:

Esi said...

Maybe if you beg TJs long enough they will bring back the mustard? I have heard they do that sometimes (although I think it helps if it is a group effort, lol).

Erica said...

Ow- thanks for reviewing this because it is def something I would buy! What a bummer that its nothing special!

Yes, those are the refried black beans from TJ's! They are great! On your next trip, you must try them! I may never go back to refried pintos again! I saw another brand of refried black beans at whole foods today. I might try them next time, I will let you know how they are.

Hope you're having a lovely Saturday :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Sorry it didn't work out for you! We don't have a Trader Joe's down here, but I know a lot of folks are crazy for it!

Diana said...

Esi - A bunch of people commented on my original post about the Hot & Sweet that I'm thinking we could stage some sort of protest to bring it back! Or I could just move on and find a new mustard!

Erica - Thanks for letting me know! And please keep me posted on the WH black beans too!

Blonde Duck - Aw that's a bummer! I don't know where I'd get all my chocolate/desserts without TJs! It keeps my freezer and snack drawer very well stocked! :)

Raspberry Runner said...

too bad....cranberry apple butter sounds delicious

Heather said...

that stinks that it's no good! it sounded tasty.... I virually never go to TJs. It's not too far from my house, but it's in such a traffic-y area...and I'm lazy! but anyway, sorry this wasn't good! i'll keep my fingers crossed for the return of your mustard. happy 2009 :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Do you care if I add you to my blogroll?

Diana said...

Not at all! I would be honored! :) Hope you didn't mind that I added you to mine!

Glenda said...

I really, really like it. Unfortunately it is only a seasonal item. I like it so much that I am now looking for a recipe - and I don't cook.