Friday, February 6, 2009

Finally, Whole Grain Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Maple Syrup

The recipe had been taunting me for a year. Everytime I came home to my parent's house in Orange County, there it was -- beckoning me from the cover of their February 2008 issue of Bon Appetit that they seemed loathe to remove from the pile of magazines accumulating on the coffee table. When I'd first read the recipe for the Whole Grian Pancakes with Wild Blueberry-Maple Syrup last year, I couldn't wait to get my breakfast on -- especially since it called for Kodiak Cakes brand whole grain pancake mix - the very mix I had in my pantry! That's what the unidentifiable "they" call fate taking a hand. Or what that fairly adorable Kate Beckinsale/John Cusack movie calls "serendipity." (I vouch for the later.)

Yet, despite my best domestic kitchen goddess intentions, like most recipes I clip from magazines or print from the Internet, the whole grain pancakes fell to the wayside -- lost from the front of my consciousness, but not completely forgotten. Then, this past weekend, my brief visit to my parents' house burned the image of the magazine cover into my head once again, and I reacted by doing something major for the unspontaneous cook. I added it to my dinner line-up for the week.

Tuesday night would be the night I finally made the pancakes.

Since I already had a huge package of blueberries in my freezer, a jug of Trader Joe's maple syrup in the fridge, and the aforementioned mix on the high shelf above my stove, it wasn't too difficult to accumulate the remaining ingredients. My purchase of buttermilk at the g-store on Sunday sealed the deal -- I had to make the pancakes by February 14th or suffer the wrath of my petulant nagging conscience (she hates to see anything go to waste).

Fortunately, when Tuesday night came, I was still hankering for a plate of whole grain, blueberry topped happiness, and my pancake-making aspirations finally reached their fruition. The stack of fruition tasted good. Very good -- much better than 99% of the pancakes I've weighed down with inferior maple syrup and crammed into my mouth like I'm playing "Chubby Bunny" for the win. The delightfulness of this dish makes me want to never order pancakes in a sticky-table diner or over-priced haute breakfast joint with an absurdly long wait again.

Of course, that's highly unlikely given my penchant for the brunching activities, so I'll probably just create an identity on and give these puppies a four fork rating instead.

Here's the recipe chopped down to a single serving. DO NOT be like me and wait a year to make them.

Whole Grain Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Maple Syrup
(Recipe courtesy of February 2008 issue of Bon Appetit - and slightly adjusted to meet my needs.)
Serves 1

2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup (I reduced the amount significantly to make them "healthier")
1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
1/2 cup Kodiak Cakes brand whole grain complete pancake
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Boil 2 tablespoons syrup and most of blueberries (I reserved some to throw in the batter) in heavy medium saucepan until reduced, about 13 minutes. Cool to lukewarm.

Meanwhile, combine pancake mix, next 4 ingredients and 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup in medium bowl and whisk to blend (batter will be thick). Absurdly thick. So thick that it will almost resemble cookie batter and may seem wrong and scary. Do not be afraid.

Melt butter on large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle or skillets and quickly spread with back of spoon into three 3- to 4-inch rounds. Cook pancakes until brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Serve with syrup.


Sara said...

I've been wanting to make these, glad they came out well!

The Duo Dishes said...

Those look berry good. said...

Aahh, I have been battling whole wheat and whole grain pancakes for weeks. Every weekend we try another version and sometimes we have a great breakfast, sometimes not so much!! These look delicious!!

Heather said...

i love serendipity!!! this maple syrup looks so, so good, too!

Diana said...

Sara - I was really surprised how well they did turn out! And they were a snap to make too. :)

Chef Bliss - You should definitely try this version - I can't wait to make them again!

Heather - I loooved the syrup. It made the pancakes!

Esi said...

That is some serious pancake deliciousness with a few blueberries thrown in, but you add that maple syrup which sounds heavenly!

claudio said...

I invite you to visit my blog. you can find my last works of art at:

yours Claudio Tomassini

Erica said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love pancakes! I think they should be for dinner one time per week! How can you not have a good day when you know you're having pancakes for din din?

The Blonde Duck said...

I could eat these all night long. And probably will!

Nicole said...

Sounds delicious!!!!!! I have been craving pancakes for weeks!

sue said...