Saturday, February 14, 2009

Milk's Ooey-Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie: Happy Valentine's Day to Me


A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about how, as a single gal, I struggle to justify spending a lot of money on groceries for new recipes I want to try. I would love to churn out exotic dishes that call for exotic ingredients, but know that I would ultimately end up tossing said ingredients when I can't use them all up myself. The always lovely Heather from Diary of a Fanatic Foodie made a comment that really lept out at me, and her words have been knocking about in my head ever since. She wrote,

"I love being married, but sometimes I would give my left arm to be single again, and not have to consult with someone every time I make plans, buy something expensive or do anything else that might impact another person. So, remember to cherish these moments a little bit, because when you're married, you'll celebrate the rare business trip that your spouse goes on that allows you to make some Annie shells mac and cheese and watch 13 Going on 30."

As I sit at my dining room table, sipping some loose leaf Jasmine tea and staring at the crumbs from the Ooey-Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie I just devoured, I am starting to feel pretty darn happy that my Facebook profile still reads "single." (And not just because I saw He's Just Not That Into You last night and am feeling anti-man.) When I went to pick up my afternoon Valentine's Day treat from Milk, my local neighborhood ice cream and sweet shop, it struck me that it's nice being able to get exactly what I want today. I don't have to get my hopes up about the outcome of some special contrived evening, or pretend to be happy when I receive something egregious like white chocolate or cherry cordials from a clueless significant other. My singleness gives me the freedom to go out and get the cookie I want and then eat the whole thing without having to share a single chocolate chip studded morsel with anyone.

This Valentine's Day, instead of bemoaning my lack of date and the sad state of my empty flower vase, I am going to savor my solitude like I would a frothy Chai latte. As a tribute to all single girls who are similarly spending today sans sweetie, here is my list of favorite things about being a "me" and not a "we."

1. I never have to watch (or pretend to like) sports, action movies or weird Discovery Channel shows about robots, machines or things that go "Vroom."

2. When I go out to dinner, I don't feel obligated to offer anyone a bite of my amazing steak or pasta Bolognese unless I want to.

3. If I miss a patch of leg hair when I'm shaving, the only one who notices is me.

4. The toilet seat in my apartment is always down.

5. When I buy a package of Trader Joe's chocolate ice cream bon-bons and leave it in the freezer for a few days, I know they will all be there when I want one.

6. I can spend my Friday and Saturday nights anyway I want -- watching "Friday Night Lights" and eating frozen pizza, going out to dinner and drinks with girlfriends, or, if I decide to change my personality, dancing at a "hot" Hollywood club.

7. I never have to explain why I had to have another pink skirt from Anthropologie.

8. I can wear the same sweatpants day after day after day after day after...

9. My weekends do not involve trips to Home Depot, Fry's Electronics, or to the sketchy hot dog place on Fairfax.

10. I still get to fantasize about "the one" -- how we'll meet, if we've already met, what he looks like, and how cute we'll be in all our wedding pictures.

Happy Valentine's Day!

8 comments:

Esi said...

Happy Valentine's day! That is an awesome treat. My treat was a croque madame and I bought MYSELF flowers! :)

Meg said...

Love this post and those cookies look yummy!

Reeni♥ said...

I have the same thoughts! I was remembering my now ex-boyfriend who didn't give me anything on Valentines day, but a week later brought home some dead flowers leftover from, and marked down 90%. Kind of makes me happy to be single.

The Blonde Duck said...

What a fabulous attitude to have! I'm so happy you had a great V-day and got exactly what you wanted. And what's funny about He's Just Not That Into You? A MAN wrote it!

Sara said...

Those cookies look amazing, hope you had a good day!

Erica said...

Girl! You rock. Loved reading this post. How yummy does that cookie look? I need it...right this second ;)

Elra said...

How interesting, but you are so right about #4 & #5 LOL, happen all the time in my house. It used to bother me, but not anymore. I guess I become immune, LOL again.

That CCC sounds so delish indeed.
Cheers,
Elra

Diana said...

Esi - Glad you treated yourself too -- us single gals need to give ourselves a little TLC from time to time!

Reeni - Ugh - that sounds horrible! I would be so disgusted!

Duckie - I actually did enjoy the movie -- even if it did make women look a bit whacky! I'm the first to admit that I, for one, kind of am. :-/

Erica - The cookies are SO so good. I'm dying to try the recipe that was posted in the LA Times a couple weeks ago, but don't trust myself with a whole batch!

Elra - Here's hoping that I have the chance to become immune at some point too!