Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Poco Dolce Chocolate: How to Eat My Way Into Debt

I felt a little disingenuous writing about my adoration for peanut butter yesterday. While I do crave the stuff like Rebecca Bloomwood craves shoes in the Shopaholic series, my heart beats the fastest for my true love, chocolate. Dark, milk, with nuts, without nuts, filled, unfilled -- I'll eat it all. And then go back for seconds. Err... thirds.

Unless, of course, it is a particularly offensive brand like Hershey's (too chalky) or Russel Stover's (inferior fillings).

This past weekend, during yet another visit to Zinc Cafe for their amazing quiche plate, I noticed a small container of individually wrapped chocolates by the cash register. Despite the $2.25 price tag on the small tiles of Poco Dolce chocolate, I felt inexplicably drawn toward them. I "oohed" and "aahed" over the exotic flavors -- mint toffee, sesame toffee, almond, and almond coconut -- all of which came topped with sea salt. I knew I should turn my head and resist the impulse buy, but I couldn't help myself. When chocolate is too close to my mouth, I have no choice but to find a way to consume it as soon as possible. Completely defenseless to the Siren's call, I purchased the almond coconut flavor.

While at first glance the chocolate did not appear to be anything particularly noteworthy or exciting, I knew I had myself a winner as soon as my teeth sank into the sturdy bittersweet chocolate. The covetted snap factor was there in spades, and my mouth was soon enveloped with the sensuous collusion of the sharp 63% Guittard cacoa against the delicate flecks of grey Celtic sea salt crystals. It was bliss. Especially when contrasted with the restrained, finely minced pieces of coconut and almond.

This is the sort of chocolate that could get me in trouble with my accountant (ie. the little voice in my head that tells me that $2.25 is way too much to spend for a single piece of candy). I'm trying really hard to avoid the Siren's call of the mail order option on the Poco Dolce website, but I'm not sure I can be trusted. Like Miss Bloomwood, it may be time to stick the credit card in a block of ice in the freezer...

Or just find something else to lust over.

9 comments:

Esi said...

Chocolate and salt were made for each other. This is something I pleasantly discovered last summer. Algabar on La Brea does chocolate tastings!!

Alessandra said...

I want it! I want it! I NEED IT!

PS - I totally thought that link would lead to Jon Hamm. Is he no longer your number one stunna??

The Blonde Duck said...

You can have pie!

The Blonde Duck said...

You can have pie!

Heather said...

yum! that sounds so good :) i just love chocolate, too. especially right around the middle of every month.

Elra said...

Gosh, who doesn't like chocolate? Me? Of course I like chocolate, not just like, love chocolate!
Cheers,
Elra

Reeni♥ said...

Your a girl after my own heart... you deserve every bite of that chocolate!!

Jan said...

That chocolate looks so good! Too small for us to split, that's for sure! I think I may need to try one. But which flavor??? I may need your help.

Sara said...

This sure sounds good, I'm a total chocoholic!