Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lupicia Strawberry & Vanilla Green Tea: Ruffling my feathers -- in a good way

I hate change. I like to order the same dishes in restaurants, shop at the same grocery stores/markets and am fiercely loyal to my favorite brands. As such, it irks me when I get an unwelcome surprise -- like when Trader Joe's decided to discontinue their Hot & Sweet mustard, or when Keri Russell chopped off all her gorgeous curly hair during the second season of "Felicity." (Why, Keri, Why?)

Given my predisposition to make everything in my life go according to my unmasterful plan, I was horrified when I discovered that the source for my favorite green peach tea, Whittard of Chelsea, closed its shop at the Westfield Topanga Mall a couple months ago. It was a shattering moment. Ever since my dear friend Lauren gave me a bag of the loose leaf tea last June, I'd been hooked on the stuff and had grown accustomed to having it with my breakfast every morning.

It was with a heavy heart that I followed my friend Lauren to the other tea shop in the mall, Lupicia. I'd been to the one at the Century City mall before, but hadn't felt particularly excited about it. Plus, I didn't want to find a new tea. I wanted my Whittard of Chelsea green peach!

Or at least I did until I sampled Lupicia's Strawberry & Vanilla that is described as a "green tea blended with Matcha and flavored with sour-sweet strawberries and vanilla." It was unlike any green tea I'd ever had before -- sweet, yet not cloyingly so, with a fresh, clean finish on the palate. I was blown away -- it was the perfect blend to makeover my morning routine, and I happily handed over my credit card for the $6.00 bag (coincidentally $3.00 cheaper than the bag I used to buy from Whittard of Chelsea).

As I near the bottom of my new favorite loose leaf tea, part of me is desperate to head right back to Lupicia for another bag of the Strawberry & Vanilla. Another part, the "change is good" part that I rarely let come up for air, wants to try something new. Maybe the Paradise Green, which uses a variety of tropical fruits, or the Jasmin Mandarin, which is described as having "a sweet fragrance like a spring wind." Change doesn't always have to be bad like Keri's ill-conceived hair cut. Change can mean finding something better -- like a really great tea, a really cool shop, or at the very least, a fun new experience to share with my readers.

8 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I hate change too. Sometimes I enjoy them, othertimes I snarl.

Heather said...

i'm so sorry to hear you still haven't recovered from felicity's haircut ;) the tea sounds good, though :)

Esi said...

Felicity getting that haircut was the death of that show. When I find something like this that I like, I buy a lot of it at one time. Especially at a place like TJs. I usually get 4 of their pom green teas at once. I'm crazy. I love the sound of strawberry and vanilla with green tea though!

Diana said...

Miranda - Hah! You sound just like me! I have an excellent snarling face.

Heather - It ruined the show!!! It was so good before...

Esi - I'm normally the same way -- I can't go to TJ's without buying at least a couple bags of dried cranberries. I'm obsessed!

Reeni♥ said...

You are so funny! The strawberry tea sounds so yummy!

Nicole said...

Sounds delicious! :)

I just talked to Paul about Felicity's haircut last night! 30 Rock mentioned it and I went on and on about it...he didn't seem to care as much as I did. :)

Jan said...

Talk about hating change, as you know I am still looking for a substitute for my favorite seasoning, Spice Islands Onion Pepper, and it has been how many years? Remember how I hoarded 26 bottles when it was discontinued? And searched all over the country?
Your cookies look perfect! Glad I had a small part!

jowdjbrown said...

This recipe was inspired by the green tea at Panera Bread:powder green tea perth