Monday, March 2, 2009

The Pre-Destined Red-Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes


I'm not one to take too much stock in all that astrology business. While I do find that my sign, Virgo, is in line with my slightly neurotic, perfectionist personality, ultimately, I think that I would have been the same even if I'd been born in February. That said, if the stars ever were to align in a way that could impact the universe (or me), it would seem as though they were up to something fishy this past Saturday morning.

As usual, I was spending the morning attempting to come up with some grand plan for my weekend eats -- specifically my lunch for that day. I was craving something light and healthy, didn't want a sandwich, and was loathe to whip up soup in the midst of the minor wave of heat that LA was experiencing. I mentioned something to my roommate and her boyfriend about needing to find a new recipe, and my roommate's boyfriend piped up, "Did you see the one Jen(my roomie) printed out?"

I shook my head, and he passed it over to me. The recipe from Martha Stewart Living was for a red-leaf salad with roasted sweet potatoes, green beans and walnuts. While I didn't have many of the ingredients (or okay, any of them aside from the salt, pepper, garlic and onion), I was immediately intrigued by the combination of flavors and quickly determined that it would be my lunch that day. Plus, it seemed as though the appearance of the recipe at the precise moment that I needed one was a sign that I needed to consume it.

Once I'd acquired all the necessary food stuffs from my local Whole Foods, the salad came together really fast. Because I always feel compelled to change recipes, the color of my toe nail polish, the TV channel, etc., I decided to add blue cheese to the mix, and then the following night, when I made it for dinner, tossed in a hard-boiled egg as well to give the affair a bit more protein. The blue cheese added a great depth of flavor to the salad and played incredibly well with the tangy yogurt dressing, sweet potatoes, green beans, red onion, and walnuts. I'm not always the biggest fan of cheese with visible mold, but I can't imagine this salad without it. (Hey Martha, you taking notes?)

I can see this recipe quickly becoming a new lunch staple. Should I thank my lucky stars for that? Or just assume that my roommate and I have some sort of weird telepathic connection whereby she is able to predict what I am craving right when I'm craving it?

Ehh. I don't know that either scenario makes sense -- I just know that I love this salad.

Red-Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from recipe on Martha Stewart Living

Serves 1

1 small sweet potatoe, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/4 medium red onion, sliced in chunky pieces
Olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
15 (approximately) green beans
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
1/2 garlic clove, minced
3-4 leaves of red-leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
Blue cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss together sweet potatoes, onion, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Add green beans to sheet; toss. Roast until green beans are tender, about 5-10 minutes, adding walnuts approximately 5 minutes before green beans are done.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, vinegar, and garlic; season dressing with salt and pepper. Top lettuce with roasted vegetable mixture; drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with blue cheese.

Option: Add a hard-boiled egg for added protein.

9 comments:

Heather said...

yum! that sounds delicious! i've never thought of adding roasted sweet potatoes to a salad, but it sounds wonderful!

Erica said...

YUM. I love warm cooked veggies on a cold salad- gives it that something something. Hope you had a good weekend :) New digs are treating me VERY well thanks ;)

Esi said...

I love when you see a recipe and just know you have to make it right away. I'll be sure to pass the message to Martha about blue cheese being a necessary component ;)

The George said...

The George endorses this Meal and all Meals like it.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm a Virgo too! We're like food soul sisters!

Reeni♥ said...

It sounds really good! I can see how the bleu cheese just kind of livens everything up.

Sara said...

I like the idea of adding sweet potatoes to salad. I love Martha Stewart's recipes!

The Duo Dishes said...

Sweeeeet taters! Our fave!

sue said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務