Friday, April 10, 2009

Haagen-Dazs Low Fat Vanilla Raspberry Swirl Frozen Yogurt: A justifiable indulgence

I opened the freezer door and cautiously extended my hand toward the container. Just as I was about to grab it from the shelf, I stopped.

I shouldn't buy it. It's not even on sale! I thought, letting the door fall shut with a clang.

I started to reach for my cart to continue with the rest of my grocery shopping, but couldn't seem to move from my place in front of the ice cream freezer. The green and white container had me transfixed. I started to open the door again.

No, I really shouldn't. It's over $4. For a pint! I can get a big vat of Dreyer's Slow-Churned Vanilla on sale for $3.99!

I glanced over at the rows of marked down cartons. It would be more economical...

The voice of reason interrupted my progress toward the cheaper cartons.

But if I buy the big container of ice cream, I'll eat it all. This way, I'll eat maybe three bowls total and be done! It's much healthier.

I back-tracked toward the Haagen-Dazs section and started to open the freezer door again.

Of course, if I really want to be healthy, I shouldn't buy any ice cream. I should buy fruit -- just like those nutritionists say to do in all those health and fitness magazines I read at the gym.

I let the door slam again.

Fruit is good. I can be one of those people who eats strawberries for dessert. Maybe with a little sugar sprinkled over the top. Or whipped cream. Or ice cream.

I opened the door again, grabbed the carton of Haagen-Dazs low fat vanilla raspberry swirl frozen yogurt and proceeded directly toward the check out.

Those magazines can suck it. I already gave up chocolate for Lent, what else do they want from me?!? I'm going to eat my low fat frozen yogurt and like it!

And I did.


mattatouille said...

I wish I could get some of that right now - it'd be the perfect afternoon snack!

The Blonde Duck said...

Fruit is overrated. Have another bowl for me.

I'm scurrying off to buy my own!

H. C. said...

Ha -- I go through that dilemma all the time walking down the freezer aisle ~ except with the full-fat versions priced at $5-6 for a mere pint!

Thankfully, my latest one is tangerine sorbet from fresh & easy for $2.99 -- we'll see how that goes...

Esi said...

One more day till you are back in chocolate bliss!

Burp and Slurp~! said...

haha, that's a nice "discussion" you had there. I'm sure you enjoyed your little indulgence.

Reeni♥ said...

One cannot live on fruit alone! You did an awesome job of steering clear of chocolate. This looks luscious and creamy and you deserved every single bite!

Heather said...

i loooooove this flavor. it's one of my favorites.

i admire you for putting it into a cup. i totally eat right out of the container, which causes all sorts of portion control problems ;)