Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's too hot to blog about food

I don't deal well with heat. At all. I don't like sweating (unless I'm working out or eating something really spicy), I don't enjoy sleeping with a fan blasted directly at my barely pajama-ed figure, and I can't stand the sticky film that forms between my thighs when I'm sitting down (or standing up). Everyone always asks me how I dealt with the cold Chicago weather while I was attending college there, but it wasn't the blistering winds or sub degree temperatures that bothered me.

It was the heat.

I have horrible memories of the last couple weeks I spent in Evanston in June 2005. Nights that were so hot I had to keep a bowl of ice water by my bed to splash over my body. Days when I would call my mom crying because the third floor apartment I shared with my two roommates didn't have air conditioning. It was miserable.

While LA is no Chicago in terms of extreme temperatures, we've been experiencing a record-breaking heat wave these past couple days that is a punctuated reminder of those horrible summer days I spent on the North Shore. I'm cranky. I'm lethargic. I don't want to eat anything that is prepared in a skillet or oven. All I want to do is consume massive amounts of ice cream, frozen or iced tea beverages like the California Green Tea pictured above from Cha for Tea in Irvine, and sit in front of an air conditioner. Doing any sort of work or activity that requires thought seems too burdensome in these conditions. 90+ degree heat is not kind to productivity. And it is certainly not conducive to blogging about food I have no desire to look at or eat.

So, I won't discuss the spinach and ricotta topped chicken breasts that are so good that I always forget how annoying they are to make. And I won't wax on about my favorite food stands at the Farmer's Market at Third & Fairfax, and why I enjoy spending my Sunday afternoons there. And I certainly won't be rolling out a long charade about how my recent training runs have made me ravenously hungry and capable of consuming huge omelets stuffed with chunks of prosciutto, Manchego cheese, artichoke hearts, red peppers, and Shiitake mushrooms. I'll save those for another day. A day when I don't want to jump into a giant pool of ice.

Today, I will settle for tea. And later on, I will settle for a trip to Ben & Jerry's for a free scoop of ice cream.

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I got the free ice cream too! What'd you get? I'm DYING to try their new flavor, peanut butter cookie dough. (Faints)

Esi said...

It is sooo hot. I know how you feel. Relief is in sight.

Jenn said...

I'm avoiding doing any physical activity at the moment. Even in the kitchen. But that tea looks so refreshing right about now.

H. C. said...

Ooo, Cha for Tea's popcorn fried chicken and sweet butter toasts are very addictive (even if not cooling like their teas.)

Kirby! said...

Seriously. The A/C in my room at school is not working, and today I was so hot that I didn't eat lunch because I DIDN'T WANT TO. When has THAT ever happened to ME???

Diana said...

Miranda - I got the Yellow Brickle Road - chocolate ice cream with peanut butter cookie dough, butter brittle, and white chocolate chunks. AMAZING.

Esi - Yes, it is!! Tomorrow, I think?

Jenn - Ugh, yes. It was torture running this morning. I'm going to plant myself on the couch tonight. Probably with some more ice cream.

H.C. - Sweet butter toasts? Sounds addictive! Definitely will need to try that once I can stomach the thought of hot food.

Kirby - I'm shocked! And stunned! And shocked! Totally know how you feel though. Not really looking forward to cooking or eating dinner.

Pearl said...

it really is too hot. it was 96 degrees in la jolla yesterday. i'm sitting here being blown by a fan :)

Erica said...

hahahha you're funny. I lurve the heat

Reeni♥ said...

I hope it cooled off for you! Although I sometimes envy you for living in L.A. this is one time I don't! It brings back memories of Tucson-where I'm sure it's like 100 degrees already.

Marie said...

I am the same way with the heat. I am in a considerably worse mood during the summer months because my apt doesn't have AC, which seems terribly wrong considering my rent! I'm from the South, but everything is heavily air-conditioned down there. :(

Maris said...

I'm right there with you...I don't fare well with heat. I love spring and fall but I don't enjoy extreme temperatures!