Friday, April 24, 2009

Teaism's Chocolate Salty Oaty Cookie: "I'm eating it now!"


"Oh! I almost forgot!" She says, her eyes sparkling. "I have something for you!"

I smile in lustful anticipation. There is only one thing that my dear friend Ashley would possibly deem worthy of a trip all the way from Washington DC.

With a smirk on her face and skip in her step, she charges out of my bedroom for her suitcase in the other room.

"You probably won't want it now, but I'll give it to you anyway." She announces as she strides back into my room with the telltale Teaism white paper sack.

My heart flutters with giddy desire. "A salty oaty cookie!" I squeal, eagerly holding out my hand to take it from her.

"I got it yesterday, so it might be a little dry..."

"No, I'm sure it's great! Thank you!" I gush, as I gingerly coddle the package in my hands.

She smiles before turning toward the door. "You're welcome!"

I sit cross-legged on my bed for a moment, contemplating the situation. I'd already eaten dessert. And it was late - nearly 11 pm on a "school" night. I should really just save it for my lunch dessert the next day.

Then again it is already a day old, I reason. It won't be nearly as good if I wait until tomorrow...

I slyly unwrap the white package and tear off a piece. It is thicker than the one I had when I visited Ashley in DC over Labor Day weekend.

I sneak a bite.

It's tastier too, I think.

I sneak another bite.

"I'm eating it now!" I call out.

She laughs. "Good!"

I tell myself I'll just have a few more bites -- save the rest for later. I really shouldn't eat the whole thing right before bedtime.

I tear off another small piece. A piece that seranades my tongue with the heady justaposition of sea salt, bittersweet cocoa and the firm bite from the oats. The cookie is moist, but sturdy in texture. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Dense, but not in a way that makes my mouth run dry.

I bite. I chew. I swallow. I don't even stop for water.

It's so good. It's sooo good.

And then it's gone.

I guiltily brush the crumbs out of my bed. Did I really just eat it all? Without even taking a picture?

Yep, I did. And it was worth every chocolate, salty, oaty bite, I think, as I snuggle under the covers and turn out the light.

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so glad you didn't wait! It sounds like a stupendous snack!

Pearl said...

i'm glad you didn't wait for the next day, either! saltiness? mm! i made oats + pb + maple srup raw cookies and then sprinkled them with fleur de sel; the salt added the needed crunch and saltiness!

The Duo Dishes said...

It's hard to resist sweet treats at night...Sounds like a good before bed snack.

Esi said...

I want one.

Jenn said...

It's hard to resist when you know it so good. I'd love to try one those. Maybe two...no make that three.

Diana said...

Hah, thanks for making me feel justified in my late night splurge! :) That cookie travelled a long way to get to my mouth!

Pearl - That recipe sounds AMAZING. I'd love a copy of it if you don't mind sharing!

H. C. said...

Oooh, Teaism was one of my fave spots when I was interning at DC. I fondly remembered their ginger scones and light bento box lunches (and brought back a few bags of the scone mix the last time I was there!)

Sara said...

That really sounds good! It's amazing how a little bit of salt can completely transform baked goods.

Reeni♥ said...

I would of done exactly the same! What a wonderful friend!

Mindy said...

I would have eaten it right away too! We get to DC a couple of times a year, so we'll have to stop by Teaism next time we're there...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Heather said...

hahahahahaha. i do love teasim. sometimes there are perks to living in dc ;)