Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies: Gettin' lucky in the kitchen

I often feel like a bit of an imposter when I post recipes on my blog. While I like to think that I know my way around a skillet and oven, I'm constantly making mistakes and committing kitchen crimes that would make many a foodie and chef shudder in revulsion.

Things like covering my risotto with a lid to make it cook faster instead of patiently stirring it like a good cook.

Or using Lawry's fajita mix instead of whipping up my own chicken fajitas from scratch.

And overcooking chicken and eggs due to my irrational fears about contracting food bourne illnesses.

These are the types of things that nag away at my conscience when I posture as an authority on arugula pesto or orzo salad or quinoa. I'm not an authority. I'm just a girl who enjoys cooking, loves eating and who, every now and again, gets really lucky in the kitchen.

This past weekend was such an instance.

On Saturday afternoon I was hit with a massive case of the baking itchies and for once in my chocolific life, was not in the mood for chocolate. Because carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts, I became obsessed with the idea of making carrot cake cookies. But not just any carrot cake cookie. Oh no, it had to be a special carrot cake cookie -- chock full of oatmeal, walnuts, white chocolate chips, and coconut -- ingredients that, unfortunately, were not present in any of the recipes I found on-line. I considered giving up my quest and just messing around with the vegan version I found on 101 Cookbooks, but I started to feel grouchy and whiny about it and finally decided to be a big brave soldier and make up my own recipe.

I was a little nervous about how they would turn out, especially when I saw how sticky the batter was, but once the golden brown muffin-like cookies emerged from the oven, I knew I'd hit baking gold. They were absurdly delicious for a cookie containing a vegetable, and even more importantly, brought a smile to both my parents' faces. Even my dad, who always has a "helpful" suggestion for how to improve a dish or recipe, exclaimed, "These are good!" upon taking his first bite. Those three words were enough to make me giddy for the rest of the night.

Well, that and all the sugar from the two cookies I consumed in rapid succession.


Diana's Everything but the Kitchen Sink Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 20 large cookies

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
3/4 brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Cream together softened butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, beat with an electric mixer until fluffy (approximately 1-2 minutes).

2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in separate bowl. Mix together with a wire whisk. Add to the butter, brown sugar, egg mixture. Stir until just combined.

3. Add oats, coconut, white chocolate chips, walnuts, carrots. When everything is well-integrated into the batter, refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes. Batter will be sticky.

4. While refrigerating, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon out golf ball-size scoops onto a cookie sheet and bake for 14 - 17 minutes depending on temperature of oven and how cool the dough is from the fridge. They will be golden brown on top when done. If they appear moist in the middle they aren't quite there yet! Cool completely on a wire rack before enjoying.

14 comments:

Pearl said...

yum diana those look delish!

The Blonde Duck said...

I like your cooking style! It matches mine!

Sara said...

Yum, these sound delicious! I love how chunky they are, I'm a big white chocolate fan.

Esi said...

This is a most excellent kitchen experiment. Imagine how amazing they would be with a little cream cheese frosting smeared between too....

Elra said...

Wow Diana, you are pretty creative here. Sounds really good!

Diana said...

Thanks Pearl!

Miranda - I love your cooking style too! Especially when it involves pie. :)

Sara - I'm actually not a huge white chocolate fan by itself, but in cookies, I go gaga for it!

Esi - Oh gosh, I don't even want to think about what would happen if I made these into whoopie pies! I think I combust from food-induced joy!

Elra - Coming from you, that is a huge compliment! :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Talk about yummy, good stuff. You know we'd be forced to spread some ice cream in there. Hope that's OK!

Jenn said...

What a funny coincidence I made oatmeal cookies today, too. I put mangos in mine. carrot cake and oatmeal, I never would have thought of that. Looks good. Got any milk?

Erica said...

ahhaha- I feel the same way a lot of the time!!! Glad they turned out well- they look and sound amazing! I love carrot cake, muffins, and I'm sure I'd love carrot cookies too!

Heather said...

these cookies make you sound like a pro for sure!! and i think we all have those things like lawry's in our kitchen arsenal. sometimes you just need a little help ;)

Diana said...

Chrystal & Amir - I won't judge - smear those suckers up with as much ice cream as you like!

Jenn - Mango oatmeal cookies sound amazing! Can't wait to see the recipe!

Erika - They are soo good! And sort of healthy for a cookie. ;)

Heather - Thank you!! I will use my Lawry's fajita mix with pride!

Kirby! said...

Yummy! I bookmarked those 101 Cookbooks carrot cake cookies, but these look awesome too! Who knew vegetables could make such good desserts?

Futile Sniffer said...

These look so good and I am not even a fan of carrot cake :P

Marlene Detierro said...

I never had a carrot cake cookie! I wish I had one or two right now for breakfast! Incredible photos.

Marlene
Informative URL for Kent Auto Repair Website