Wednesday, July 15, 2009

RIP Dear Anthropologie Mug

This morning, Wednesday, July 15th, at approximately 8:23 am, Diana Takes a Bite's favorite Anthropologie mug met her demise in Diana's kitchen sink. Owner Diana, an LA food blogger, was rinsing out the remains of her Lupicia Strawberry Vanilla Green tea when the mug slipped out of her hands and fell directly into the porcelion grave below.

"It wasn't intentional." Diana said this morning, her voice cracking with emotion. "I was just trying to give her a bath. Like a good mom."

Diana purchased the $6 mug at the Chicago Anthropologie near the end of her sophomore year of college. It seemed like an impulse purchase at the time, but when she returned to Northwestern's North Shore campus the following year, she began using the mug on a daily basis for her Big Train chocolate or vanilla chai.

"It was so cold in Evanston and my hands would get numb walking to and from my classes." Diana recalls, as a slow parade of tears descends from her green, sometimes hazel, eyes. "I looked forward to a warm cup of chai every afternoon. It was my favorite treat. And the mug made it even better."

When Diana graduated in June 2005, she took her favorite hot beverage companion back with her to sunny Southern California. Despite the warmer weather, she still used the mug almost daily for her morning pot of green tea.

"I have a lot of cute mugs now, but I still always wanted to use my Anthropologie one. It was the perfect size, weight and thickness. It felt good in my hand -- comforting. I'll never forget her."

At this time, Diana doesn't have immediate plans to replace the deceased. She needs time to grieve and mourn the loss of her breakfast companion.

Respects can be paid at the gray pop-up trash can at Diana's West Hollywood-adjacent apartment. Diana asks that donations be made via sympathetic comments.

12 comments:

Futile Sniffer said...

Dear Mug,
I never met you, but I know how important you were. You lived a long life and experienced many flavors. Some hot, some cold. You didn't just sit in the cupboard like the rest. You did it all and made a name for yourself. Your memory will live forever and you will never be forgotten! Rest in peace, Favorite Mug.

Austin S. said...

puahahahaha... you're such a dork... but it's cute...

I've definitely felt your pain... not with a mug... but with other items which I can't remember at this point

Gastronomer said...

I'm sorry for your loss. There are other mugs in the sea.

Alessandra said...

Mug,

We had some great times during college, particularly when I would steal you and use you when Diana was not around. You will be missed, my dear friend.

Jenn said...

Hahaha...Oops...I meant poor mug.

I know how you feel. Had the same thing happen to me a few years back.

The Duo Dishes said...

Ack. Sadness! We'll respect your privacy at this time.

yutjangsah said...

it was her time to go. remember what queen elizabeth said about grief, "it's the price we pay for love". oh snap, is it ever.

Esi said...

Aww, sorry for your loss.

Diana said...

Meg - She never ever experienced cold flavors. I was a good mom and always kept her warm and toasty.

Austin - I will NEVER forget her. I just wish I'd had a little more time with her...

Cathy - True, but none are as cute as she.

Ali - I'm shocked and appalled. Actually, not so much. Mug told me all about it afterwards. She told me that my lips are much sweeter than yours.

Jenn - I'm sorry for your loss too. I hope you've moved on. Some day I will get there...

Chrystal & Amir - Thank you. No one should have to see the pained look in my face.

Sook - And like Celine Dion said, "My heart will go on."

Esi - Thank you. Your words of support are most appreciated.

Kirby! said...

TRAGIC... you could always get another mug, but it won't replace the old one. SIGH

Reeni♥ said...

Rest in peace dearly departed mug. I know what it means to have a beloved mug, I feel your pain.

TonyC said...

is there still an Anthropologie in Evanston? You can just get a local NU friend to pick another one up? Or I can call "Someone I know".