Friday, August 7, 2009

Grapefruit, Avocado Quinoa Salad w/ Seared Scallops: A week's worth of inspiration


“I've been so lazy in my cooking lately. Meatless meatballs from TJ's tonight. LAME. And repeat dishes over and over again. I just haven't been excited about any recipe lately! I need to find some inspiration!” I wrote to Chrystal, the feminine half of the Duo Dishes, on Monday.

She sent me some words of encouragement back, but I still felt blocked. There weren’t any restaurant dishes I felt compelled to recreate (since I haven’t been dining out as much lately), and my efforts to find new healthy recipes on my favorite food-related sites were unsuccessful. As delicious as cheesy polenta and homemade ice cream drumsticks sounded to my inner glutton, neither would be doing my heart any favors.

Then, on Tuesday, as I reviewed the pictures of the crave-worthy scallop nachos that my brother made at my mom’s birthday dinner party on Saturday night, I started thinking about scallops. And avocado.

From avocado, my mind travelled to grapefruit since the two are a natural pairing (like high-brow pb & j without the bread). While I tried to wrap my head around what I could do with scallops, grapefruit and avocado, I remembered that Miss Kirby Von Scrumptious swears by some sort of quinoa and grapefruit salad conglomeration. I liked the idea of serving scallops over quinoa since quinoa looks slightly sand-like and scallops come from the sea (hello, beach scene!), and I soon had a clear idea of the base ingredients I wanted to use in my (hopefully) fab new dish.

For added bulk and a crunchy contrast to the slick scallops and creamy avocado, I stole a line from the $17 Café R+D chicken chopped salad and added English cucumbers to the mix. Edamame was another must since I’m fairly obsessed with those green little nuggets of soy joy and would put them in my oatmeal if it were palatable. At this point, I knew I would dress the whole thing with some sort of lime, grapefruit juice concoction, but there was still something critical missing.

A hot, well-muscled date to eat it with me.

And, fine, some fresh herbs.

It was at this fork in my recipe conception road that I read Food Woolf’s article “Expert advice on essential pantry herbs” where Lily Baltazar identifies the peppery arugula leaf as a must-have in the kitchen.

It was like a sign from God.

Or just a sign that I read too many food blogs.

Either way, I was finally 1980s stoked about getting into my kitchen, and I could hardly wait to get home from work last night so I could put my week’s worth of inspiration into action. The whole drive home I pictured the process in my head – like I was mentally preparing myself for a race or an ill-timed weekend shopping trip to the Grove.

Everything came together just as I envisioned it (even though I was dismayed to discover that the grapefruit I commandeered from Trader Joe’s was pink and not ruby red), but even more importantly, it tasted how I envisioned it.

As I tour my fork through the fluffy quinoa, succulent $19.99/lb scallops that made me cringe at the check-out stand, tart grapefruit, and sultry green things, I was hardly even cognizant that many of my fellow food bloggers were enjoying eight delicious courses courtesy of Roberto Cortez at BreadBar.

I was eatin’ good in my own hood, and nothing was going to get me down. Not even the lack of hot, well-muscled date part.

Grapefruit, Avocado Quinoa Salad w/ Seared Scallops
Serves 1

¼ quinoa
3 large fresh scallops
¼ cup shelled, cooked Edamame
½ grapefruit, segmented
¼ avocado, chopped
1 small English cucumber, chopped
Handful Arugula
1 large shallot, roasted until crispy (approximately 45 minutes at 350 degrees)
Salt, pepper

Dressing:
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
Pinch of lime zest
Salt, pepper to taste

Combine dressing ingredients and set aside.

Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. (I prepared mine using ½ cup chicken broth). When done, set aside to come to room temperature.

Toss room temp quinoa with segmented grapefruit, avocado, cucumber, edamame and arugula. Apply dressing to taste (may not need to use it all).

Cook scallops approximately 2-3 minutes on each side (depending on thickness of scallop). Plate the quinoa mixture and then top with scallops and crispy shallots.

13 comments:

Gastronomer said...

I'm not particularly muscular or a man for that matter, but I'll come over for dinner anytime! Especially for this dish. Looks excellent, my healthy friend.

Shelley said...

Wow, Diana! That sounds scrumptious! I'm going to have to try as I'm trying to get back into the kitchen, too, and this might just get me in there... STAT!

yutjangsah said...

this looks great. and is it a sign or serious eating disorder when you read "hot muscled date" and you think of mussels with dates? hehee.

Esi said...

Hopefully you find that well-muscled date soon ;) In the meantime, glad you could enjoy this.

Elra said...

Scrumptious salad. Grapefruit and scallop, what a combo, plus it has my favorite avocados, miammm

Erica said...

Glad you found your inspiration! I have weeks where I just feel like blah in terms of inspiration and just want to eat the same thing every night! I love Avocado...I just picked up my first skinny avocado...I'm eager to see how this thing tastes. Love the addition of quinoa to the salad.

Yes, PEANUT BUTTER! I could eat it alllll day ;)

The Duo Dishes said...

Somewhere along the junction of bored and hungry and invigorated and satisfied lies inspiration. It found you. Or, rather, you found it. Whatever! Point is you came up with something that is definitely grand. If anyone is a voice of knowledge when it comes to food, it's you, so we will try grapefruit with our scallops!

Jenn said...

Now this is inspiration. I don't think you could have made a better fitting salad. I had moments of "blah" It's never fun, but somehow at the most unexpected moment it'll just creep up to you and it's the happiest feeling when it does.

I need to get me some scallops stat!!!

Diana said...

Cathy - You'll drive to the westside?? I smell a dinner party!

Shelley - It's so good and actually really easy! Let me know if you try it!

Sook - Haha, no. Whenever I see the word "date" I automatically think of the edible kind. Wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese.

Esi - Yes, always "hopefully."

Elra - I could eat avocados all day long and be very happy girl.

Erica - Skinny avocado? I've never heard of it! Will you be posting about it on your blog?

Chrystal & Amir - Me the voice of knowledge? Aw shucks! I think you guys blow me out of the water every day of the week!

Jenn - Head to whole foods - scallops are on sale right now!

Kirby! said...

Amazing recipe!! Lots of elements, but they sound like they went together perfectly. I get a lot of my inspiration from other food blogs too. It's always best when you take an idea and make it your own-- and often a LOT more satisfying than shelling out the dough on a restaurant dish. :)

mattatouille said...

Hot muscled dates don't make your food taste better, do they? If so, let me know, i'm sorta curious. Not that i'm into hot muslced men. Actually scratch that stupid thought. I think the converse of hot muscled date (I'm thinking...gorgeous beauty like Amy Adams) would be wonderful. Yeah.. I just came back from watching Julie & Julia. Loved that movie. Makes me want to cook.

Reeni♥ said...

BreadBar has nothing on you - this looks incredibly delicious! I really like the dressing!

Medical Information said...

Good recipe. Avocado is very healthy and has many health benefits. It is rich in nutrients and is excellent as conditioner and makes one’s locks lustrous and smooth, it helps to get rid of the frizz from hair, also helps preventing hair loss and its nutrients helps for good hair growth. For more tips on avocado, refer Avocado nutrition