Monday, August 3, 2009

Let there be FREE cake!

Despite my preference to be the center of attention (a direct result of being ignored in high school), I love celebrating my friends and family’s birthdays. Partly because it gives me an excuse to go shopping/spend money without feeling guilty, partly because I actually buy into the sentimental, “it’s better to give than receive,” and partly because there is cake.

Or in the case of my mom’s birthday this past Saturday, blueberry crumb coffee cake from Café R+D.


While I’m technically still in the midst of a much needed “cleanse,” my mother’s birthday gave me the perfect reason to abandon my faux diet to indulge in the complimentary offering from the café made infamous here for its costly chicken chopped salad.

According to our overly sweetened server (a standard at the R+D – finishing/training school perhaps?), the blueberry crumb cake is offered to diners every Saturday and Sunday morning whilst they wait for their main brunch and lunch entrees to arrive. My mother and I were shocked to learn that some people actually turn the warm, sugar-coated breakfast cake down (which may be why there was still some available when we parlayed our way over around 1:00 pm).

Are they on cleanses too? Or just afraid of refined carbs? I wondered as I peered around at the patrons at nearby tables who seemed uninterested in receiving a free sugar rush prior to their spinach salads and burgers (extra cheese, hold the bun).

Either way, I was happy to take advantage of my fellow diners’ un-American behavior that allowed my mother and me to start off her birthday lunch in the best way possible. With one dessert and two spoons.

10 comments:

yutjangsah said...

no to free cake? what on earth is wrong with americans today? we need a senate investigation stat.

Gastronomer said...

Dude, that looks so good. I'd pay $17 for a salad if it included a free dessert!

Jenn said...

I'd take a free cake any day!!! If no one want it, I'll take it. Pass me a spoon!! lol.

talat said...

Great way to get more customers. I'm all for it!

Jackie at PhamFatale.com

Diana said...

Sook - I know, right? Even if I didn't like cake and was allergic to blueberries, I'd still want it if it were free!

Cathy - I knew you'd come around!!!

Jenn - We felt the same way! :)

Jackie - I know, right? Even if the salads weren't good, I'd come back for the cake!

Katalonius said...

I want the recipe for that cake. I love anything with blueberries!

The Duo Dishes said...

If a restaurant offers you anything free, you never turn it down. Especially a sweet treat. Lucky you!

Esi said...

If it's free, it can definitely be part of the detox. Hope your mom had a good birthday

Elra said...

Delicious, especially if it's free!

Reeni♥ said...

This is my kind of place! This looks heavenly delicious!!