Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Open-Face Curried Egg Salad Sandwich: A work in progress

“What’s the difference between Muchi curry and regular curry?” I ask my mom on Sunday afternoon, as I scan the rows of spices at Whole Foods.

“Um… I don’t know. Read me the ingredients.”

I list them off for her, trying my best to hold on to both my cell phone and the three jars of curry in question, but seconds later, the vegan brand goes crashing to the floor. The lid cracks and shoots down the aisle.

I look around sheepishly and quickly snatch up the jar – sans lid – and shove it back on the shelf. I feel bad, but also slightly angry that I’m being forced to make such a difficult decision.

Why can’t they just carry plain curry with nothing else added?

After a few more minutes of serious contemplation and debate with my dear, patient mother, I opt for the Spice Hunter’s version of curry that contains cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cloves, cayenne, and black pepper. I’m out the door a few moments later – my mind already fixated on the curried egg salad sandwich I’ll make when I get home.

I have high hopes for the open-faced sandwich that I plan to construct using arugula and an English muffin as the base. Yet when I begin mixing my non-fat plain yogurt with my curry, some apple cider vinegar, a squirt of lemon, and a pinch of salt, things start to go awry.

“How do I always manage get myself into these situations?” I wonder as I taste and re-taste the five-alarm spicy dressing.

Per my mother’s instructions (I call her to complain about my latest predicament), I add more yogurt, but it still shocks my tongue with its potency.

“I can’t possibly eat a whole sandwich made of this stuff!” I think in despair.

At this juncture, I consider scratching my “vision” for a standard egg salad sandwich, but desperately want to use the currants, slivered almonds, green onions, and Persian cucumber I have lugged out of my fridge for the endeavor. I’m determined to make it work, so I ignore the voice in my head that says mayo has 100 calories in just one tablespoon and drop a small heap into the bowl of yogurt. The fat helps temper the curry, and I proceed with my mission.

The end result is good, but lacks the currylicious punch I was envisioning when I set out on my fool’s mission earlier that day. (I was aiming for something akin to Urth Caffe’s righteously delectable chicken curry salad.) The flavor of the curry I selected just isn’t quite right, but the dish still has potential for greatness. I love the crunch from the almonds and cucumber, the sweet kiss from the currants, and the zesty bite from the unruly strands of arugula. This open-faced sam is working for me – even if the effort to make it turns me off from doing anything more complicated than a frozen pizza for dinner.

“Work-in-Progress” Open-Face Curried Egg Salad Sandwich
Serves 1

1 sandwich-size English muffin
2 hard boiled eggs
1 tablespoon currants
1 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds
1 green onion, chopped
½ a Persian cucumber, chopped
Handful of arugula
Plain yogurt
Cider wine vinegar
Lemon juice
Salt to taste

Combine yogurt, curry, cider wine vinegar, lemon juice, mayo and salt to desired taste. I didn’t measure – just threw things together until it tasted palatable.

Coarsely chop eggs, and mix with currants, toasted almonds, green onions, and cucumber. Dress with desired amount of yogurt mixture.

Toast English muffin, top with arugula, and then spoon egg salad over the arugula.


yutjangsah said...

I love curry. There's a curry chicken salad I get across the street from work that I'm seriously obsessed with.

Cal Orey, Author-Intuitive said...

can i leave out the curry? otherwise, wow. that's my lunch or dinner.

Jenn said...

Nice save on the curry. I think I sould have given up before finding a solution. Blame it on the hunger. haha... The sandwich looks awesome. I haven't had an egg salad sammie in a LONG time actually. I may need to add that to my menu this week.

Esi said...

Considering the curry debacle, it sounds like you still got something good out of it. Eggs...mmmm...the perfect food.

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

How delicious! I've had curried chicken salad but never egg. This is a great idea! Love it!

Elra said...

Never made curry salad before, what a great idea.

Diana said...

Sook - Mendocino Farms? Pray tell!

Cal - I think you could definitely leave out the curry. You could use dill or tarragon or something instead! Though in that case, I'd also use a bit of dijon mustard in place of the cider vinegar.

Jenn - I was getting so hungry!!! I really just wanted to chuck the whole thing, but I was committed to eating those almonds and currants in some capacity!

Esi - They really are! And so filling! This lunch kept me full till 830 that night!

Reeni - I can't take full credit - Simply Recipes does a version on her site.

Elra - It's good! Especially with chicken.

Anjali said...

Maybe toasting the curry powder briefly in a dry pan would make it more curry-licious without adding more curry powder? I have the same frustration with buying just "curry powder" (what are the differences between brands??) so I never buy it. But maybe I should. Because this sandwich sounds (and looks) awesome.

Melissa Good Taste said...

Curry. Once I think I like (get used it) someone uses it like crazy... and it spooks me again.

Ashley said...

I think 101 has a good recipe for curry egg salad...

Diana said...

Anjali - That's a great idea! I think I need to just suck it up and buy a different brand. I always liked Spice Islands growing up and my mom says the only ingredient in that is... curry!

Melissa - It's a tough spice to crack, but done right, it's delish!

Ashley - I blame you for me recent currysession.