Monday, October 26, 2009

SK's Donuts & Croissant: Great donuts, until 10 minutes later

It seemed like a great idea at the time. Of course I should reward myself for seven hours of volunteer work at the Nike Human Race with a donut from SK’s Donuts & Croissant on West 3rd Street. I’d wanted to try the Yelp favorite for ages, and nothing else in my hood is open at 3 am. Well, aside from Benito’s Tacos, but I like to reward myself with sugar, not chicken taquitos with liquid guac.

In my mind, the whole thing seemed serendipitous. As I mentioned, SK’s was open, I would be driving almost right by it on my way home from USC, and, most importantly, I have a mouth that occasionally digs fried dough when it’s not busy macking on chocolate or ice cream.

It would be great – I’d eat a big fatty raised glazed donut in bed with some of the rooibos tea my mom gave me for my birthday, and then tweet about how I was eating donuts in bed. Because that’s what food bloggers do. Eat something and then tell the world about it.

The first kink in my great donut plan came when the chap working the shop told me that they didn’t have any raised glazed left. And that the glazed twists and sugar-dusted raised versions weren’t fresh. On a scale from 1 to 10, my disappointment level was at like a 27. Maybe a 27.5.

But I sucked it up like a big girl and asked said chap what the most popular ones are. He pointed out the crumb, the buttermilk and the frosted chocolate cake donut. I sighed in defeat – none sounded particularly worthy of sending my insulin levels into a tailspin. It was a very “wah wah” moment. Kind of like how I feel when an episode of “Glee” is over, and I know I have a whole week to get through before the next one.

After a few minutes of anxious contemplation, I finally went with the crumb and then told him to pick out another one for me so I wouldn’t have to make any more decisions. He selected the buttermilk and then threw in the chocolate one too because he didn’t “want [me] to be disappointed.” So sweet, that donut man. He only charged me $1.60 for the lot, but being the generous person I am (read: too anxious to get home to wait for my change), I gave him $2 and skedaddled.

Fifteen minutes later I snuggled up in my bed with my loot. It was an impressive spread. I snickered a bit at how gluttonous it seemed. A big plate of donuts at 3 in the morning? How Homer Simpson of me!

I tore into the buttermilk donut first. The freshness of the pliant dough was immediately apparent – as was the intense buttermilk flavor. I could practically feel the fat oozing into my pores as I nibbled my way through the fried pastry. This was a good thing. (Or at least I thought it was a good thing.) The light glaze covering the tender dough was sweet, but not cloyingly so, and I had no trouble polishing off the entire donut.
My other selections – the crumb and chocolate frosted cake donut – were also good and, most importantly, fresher than most of the donuts I’ve encountered in my lifetime of occasionally eating donuts, but were still outshone by the buttermilk variety. Tasting them only reaffirmed my favoritism for doughy, glazed donuts as opposed to cake-like ones. I cut off one more sliver of the crumb donut just to make absolute sure that I didn’t want to finish it, and then packed up the leftovers to give my roommate later.

It was around this time that my stomach started to hurt.

A lot.

“Foiled again by my own devices!” I thought woefully, as I tweeted about the unfortunate consequence of my post-midnight indulgence.

I chugged down the rest of my tea, hoping it would temper some of the pain that was rapidly spreading through my overburdened belly, but alas, it was too late for natural remedies. The damage had been done.

“Just lay still.” I told myself, hugging my biggest pillow to my stomach. “Mom would tell you to just lay still.”

My last thought before falling asleep was, “I hope I don’t throw up.”

The next morning, I woke up feeling disoriented, as though I’d been overindulging in Cabernet rather than fried deliciousness. While the carboloading proved to be an excellent pre-workout meal for my subsequent eight mile run (I felt inspired by all my fellow runners at the Human Race), I now know why I eat chocolate instead of donuts. Chocolate, even in massive quantities, brings only love and joy to my stomach – never stomachaches.

Sk’s Donuts & Croissants
5850 W 3rd St
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Phone: (323) 935-2409

12 comments:

SinoSoul said...

Sorry I laughed so hard when I saw the tweets... total schadenfreude. I'm going to hell already so.. figured it was ok to laugh.

Esi said...

You kill me! I think most people get some kind of fast food (or Benitos) at 3AM. I think you're the only person I know who would get doughnuts.

Maya said...

I. Want. That. Buttermilk. Donut. Now.

Nicole said...

oh my! as soon as i saw the photos i was thinking that i wondered how long it would be until your belly hurt! they sure do look delicious though! :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Never heard of this place, it's cool to know there's a good doughnut spot here. LA has the most mini doughnut chains ever! It's hard to know where to go for a good one, so SK's must be the spot to try.

weezermonkey said...

Thank you for writing this. I am never going here!

Gastronomer said...

D, You took WAY too many Bs! Your writing is especially fun to read when you've seriously over done it. Poor girl.

Jenn said...

LOL. Now you know. Eat something else besides a donuts at 3am.

Heather said...

mmm. i love donuts! i can't believe how good those look!!

Ashley said...

tea twins! even on the same day!

Diana said...

Tony - Go ahead and laugh - I've got your soul covered in my prayers.

Esi - Haha, I didn't think it was that weird at the time? It seemed completely logical to go get donuts! Sigh.

Maya - Do it! Just stop after one! (Or don't eat them at 3 am!)

Nicole - I knew I was in trouble... I just couldn't stop myself!

Chrystal & Amir - It's definitely worth the indulgence if you are in the mood for a donut. They are the best I've had in LA so far! (aside from Grace's of course!)

Sharon - Haha, good for you - keep the integrity of your stomach intact!

Cathy - It's more fun to write about my over indulgences than it is to write about my quinoa salads! Just wish I didn't have to suffer the consequences!

Jenn - I consider myself schooled.

Heather - They were amazing! Even with the post-donut pain, looking at the pictures makes me want another one!

Ashley - Have I mentioned how glad I am you live in LA now?

Anna A. said...

Eating crumpets err donuts in bed, are we? I Love it!!!