Friday, November 13, 2009

EAT MY BLOG Charity Bake Sale

When Cathy, the Gastronomer, one of my favorite partners in eating crime, asked if I’d be interested in participating in a charity food blogger bake sale a few weeks ago, I didn’t even hesitate. I don’t recall my exact words, but knowing me I probably used an excessive amount of exclamation points (it’s a problem) in my affirmative response before begging to help her plan it.

The idea seemed genius – how cool would it be to finally get to taste all the amazing confections that my fellow LA food bloggers make? The pumpkin swirl brownies from Dishing Up Delights, authentic macarons from Food, She Thought, and the ginger scones my friend Ashley from Blank Slate is always gushing over. That it would all be done for charity – specifically the LA Regional Food Bank – seemed to be the (matcha) icing on the black sesame cupcake.

What began as a simple “What if?” has been transformed into something bigger than any of us on the planning committee could have imagined when we began brainstorming ideas. There are now 30 food bloggers involved, Challenge Butter has signed on as a sponsor and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf will be supplying fresh brewed coffee to pair with the sweet treats. It will provide much needed relief from all the sugar – we anticipate over 600 baked goods to sell on the day of reckoning – Saturday, December 5th (10 am – 4 pm).

There are now just three weeks to go before the first EAT MY BLOG Charity Bake Sale commences at Zeke’s Smokehouse BBQ in West Hollywood, and I can hardly wait to see Cathy’s vision come to life for such an important cause.

And, let’s be honest, I’m also really excited to eat my weight in sugar. Carrot cake cookie, anyone?

More information (including a list of participating bloggers) can be found here.
Zeke's Smokehouse BBQ
7100 Santa Monica Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA‎
(323) 850-9353‎


Esi said...

Can't wait! I want one of everything.

Hari said...

The bake sale is a really great idea! Kudos to you and other bloggers for organizing it and good luck with all the baking and eating :D
I will try to swing by if I can. I am moving to my new apt that weekend so can't commit for sure :(

Any chance I can pre-order the goodies and collect them post-event?

Jenn said...

I love bake sales. That's really great that you're participating in this. Good baked good for a good cause.

Ashley said...

woooo, can't wait to get my bake on.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

So excited to bake and more excited to have a fun reason to try my hand at making something new and delicious! can't wait to buy your cookies!

Anna A. said...

Looking forward to this!!!!!

Diana said...

Esi - So glad you are participating!

Hari - Hope you can stop by!

Jenn - Thanks! I love bake sales too... sad there aren't more of them in this adult world of ours!

Ashley - And I can't wait to get me eat on... your scones!

Nastasshia - I can't wait to buy whatever delicious confection you make!

Anna - I'll save you the best piece of pb brownies and an extra big carrot cake cookie!