Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"In Bed Together" Exhibit Launch Party at Royal/T: Ludo returns. And oh yeah, there's art too.

I blame it on the rain.

Of e-mails, that is. It doesn’t actually rain in LA except for once or twice a year. Just enough to provoke headline news stories blowing a light sprinkle up to be “Storm Watch 2009!” Aah, hyperbole. Tis a lovely flavor to lure in the attention of the masses.

Unlike the drizzle that occasionally dampens Los Angeles, however, my Gmail inbox has been weathering a real “Storm Watch 2009” in recent months. Mostly because of the clutter from news and announcements I receive from Anthropologie, J. Crew, Martin & Osa (or “Martin & Osie” as my mom likes to call it), Borders Rewards, and the National Gardening Association (no clue), but also because, I’m kind of (not really) “a big deal.” Or just don’t know how to click the “no” box regarding receiving newsletters.

Two weeks ago I received a non-spam e-mail from Royal/T inviting me and a guest (or guests) to the “In Bed Together” Exhibit Launch Party this past Friday, November 20th. My eyes immediately focused in on the meat of the matter -- the words, “appetizers by luminary Chef Ludovic Lefebvre.”

Done! Sold! I’m there, I thought with giddy excitement and immediately forwarded the e-mail to Sook of Yutjangsah who is even more enamored with Chef Ludo’s experimental cuisine.

In my eagerness to RSVP and move on to the next e-mail (from Anthropologie – new sweaters! Squee!), I failed to pay attention to the rest of what was written in Royal/T's invitation. The event wasn’t just about noshing on Ludo’s inventive apps and celebrating the much-anticipated return of LudoBites, but also about viewing art.

Apparently, the whole “In Bed Together” theme is not only referring to Ludo getting in bed with Royal/T this December – it’s also referring to an art exhibition.

Color me embarrassed.

Especially since I didn’t actually realize this until I got to the party on Friday night.

“Who are all these people?” I whispered to Sook and Sarah from the Delicious Life.

I was specifically referring to the man in the Monk-like robes, but also to the more ordinary-looking art buffs from the community who were clearly not food bloggers or industry folk eager to rub elbows with Ludo and his lovely wife Krissy.

While I am not opposed to expanding my cultural horizons beyond food and my weekly appointment with “Glee,” in the interests of full disclosure, I must admit that the art I appreciated the most on Friday was the art that came with a fork.

Ludo’s scallop crudo with pineapple and brown butter was a delight to my senses – the sweet fruit a compelling contrast to the buttery scallops. The buckwheat crepes were equally playful – the crepe tasted virtuous, but its healthful components were immediately nullified by the goat cheese and bacon jam filling.

Thank God.

Sadly, I was, again, so focused on the Ludo part of the evening, that I failed to pay adequate attention to curator Jane Glassman’s exhibit which features approximately 50 works by 50 artists. According to the release that I am finally reading in full today, the pieces “tell a compelling story of the contemporary art world today.”

Sigh. Again, I blame it on the rain.

Either that or on Chef Ludo and Krissy Lefebvre – the “it” couple in the LA dining scene. When they are in a room, it’s hard to pay attention to much else. Especially when Ludo is working the stove.

The “In Bed Together” exhibit will be on display at Royal/T now through January 30th, 2010.

LudoBites will be taking over the Royal/T space for December 2nd - 4th, 9th -10th, 13th - 17th, and 20th -22nd.


8910 Washington Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232-2326
(310) 559-6300


yutjangsah said...

I loved the monk guy. I didnt look at the art too much either. Way too many people. We'll cast our appreciative eyes on the art come Dec 3rd. Deal? Thanks for inviting me!

weezermonkey said...

Yeah, there was a reason I disappeared quickly after noshing on the scallops and crepe! It was the art! ;)

sarah said...

"blame it on the rain" - now it is in my head.

thanks, diana.

just you wait. i am going to put some horrible song in your head when you least expect it. and it will make you visualize men in skimpy underthings doing interpretive dance or something.

Jenn said...

Cool. Art and food are always great together.

Diana said...

Sook - Deal! But not too much appreciating, k? We are there to eat! And drink.

Sharon - Hah, so that was it! I thought it was the pillow fight people. Or the monk man.

Sarah - Nothing compares... nothing compares... to 23-year-olds. (Skimpy clothing optional.)

Jenn - So true! Especially when the food is the art. ;)

e*star said...

BOO, I wish I got to hang out with you more - much less SEE you that night! Haha, it was some kind of wonderland. Nuts.

Gastronomer said...

After reading all of these launch party write ups, I feel like I've seen plenty of the art on hand. When I get to Ludo's, I'll just focus on the food. Just like my good friend D takes a B.