Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Teriyaki Salmon w/ Edamame Mash: Diana goes (sort of) low carb

I don’t really do low carb. Mostly because carbs feed my soul and fuel my workouts (and taste really really good), but also because I became exceedingly irritable when I neglect them. My evil eye comes out, I start slamming doors, and Lord help whomever is driving in front of me in traffic.

If, however, there is anything to get me to back up the trolley on my stance to never eat a low carb meal ever, it’s my latest healthy obsession – edamame mash. (Though technically it’s not completely low carb since I add a little potato to it!)

The idea came about courtesy of Sonja of Active Foodie. She’s a fellow quinoa queen like me, and always has great ideas for recipes that are both satisfying and runner/health nut-friendly. She posted a picture of an edamame mash she served with some eggs for breakfast, and I immediately thought to myself, “By golly, that would go fantastic with some teriyaki salmon!”

And by golly, it did! I was a bit lazy with the preparation of my salmon – marinating it with Soy Vay Veri Veri Teri Yaki sauce instead of concocting my own marinade, but I think it’s okay to take a few shortcuts to prevent kitchen burnout. Pairing from scratch recipes with not-so-from-scratch items helps keep me sane. (Unless I’m neglecting the carbs -- see above.)

With some green beans that I stir-fried with garlic, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and honey, I had a winning dinner on the table in less than 45 minutes. “Winning” because everybody wins – my heart, my stomach, my taste buds, and my roommates who didn't have to bear witness to the “angry” version of my typically smiling self.

Edamame Mash
Serves 2

1 heaping cup edamame, cooked
1 new potato, approximately ½ cup cooked
¼ cup milk
Splash of chicken broth
2 cloves of garlic, roasted
Salt, pepper to taste
Cilantro (optional)

Drizzle two cloves of garlic with olive oil (leave skin on) and roast for approximately 15-20 minutes in oven preheated to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, steam potato.

Peel garlic, and combine with potato, edamame, splash of chicken broth (for flavor), milk (amount to taste depending on desired texture), salt and pepper. Blend together with immersion blender, traditional blender, or handheld mixer. Reheat until piping hot. Serve with teriyaki salmon and stir-fried veggies of choice. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

7 comments:

yutjangsah said...

What a nifty idea activefoodie/dianatskesabite. Looks easy healthy n delish. I may mk this now that i ordered a ricer for tgiving. Yay!

The Active Foodie said...

Thanks for the love! I love what you did with meal! Looks delicious and very healthy!

Gastronomer said...

After Eat My Blog wraps up, we need to throw a HUGE blogger potluck. NEED!

Diana said...

Sook - It's really tasty for something that looks like green baby food. Hmm... maybe my niece could eat it?

Sonja - Of course! It was such a great idea!

Cathy - Deal! We're worth it!

Anna A. said...

I love the edamame mash idea! I've been making edamame hummus, but this mash is something fun and exciting. Maybe even throw in a few squirts of wasabi and just get crazy!

Esi said...

Sounds like a great way to use edamame.

Diana said...

Anna - Edamame hummus? Yes, please! I'll have to try that next week!