Monday, December 21, 2009

Sprinkles' Eggnog Cupcake: The best cupcake of the year

“Wow, you stood in line for just one cupcake?” The angel-faced counter gal asks me as she writes down my order.

I bob my head sheepishly. “Well… I had it at my brother’s Christmas party last weekend, and I couldn’t get it out of my head… I had to get it before the 24th.” I explain.

I don’t mention that I had been planning on getting Sprinkles’ seasonal eggnog cupcake all week – visualizing this exact moment during the rough moments at work and the particularly harrowing minutes on the stationary bike at the gym. I also don’t mention that I battled horrific traffic just to get to Beverly Hills to wait in that fifteen minute line.

Nobody wants to hear about that.

“It’s good.” She says with a smile that makes me feel slightly less like a crazy person who devotes an hour and a half of her day to the procurement of a single cupcake.

“You know you can buy the spice mix and make them at home when they aren’t available any more.” She continues, gesturing toward the canisters of mixes on the wall.

Right, just what my butt needs – mix so I can make myself a dozen of the cupcakes that have been haunting me at the gym for the past week, I think.

“Oh, cool!” I say, with no intention of buying Pandora’s mix… ever.

A second girl, equally angelic, approaches to take my payment. “Oh the eggnog… have you had it before?” She asks with obvious approval.

“Yeah, last weekend – I had to come back to get another before they are gone!” I explain again.

I know how I sound – like some desperate PMSing singleton, but in the company of other eggnog cupcake appreciators, I can’t help but be anything less than effusive and gushy. These are my people!

She leans across the counter, focusing all her attention on me instead of the hordes of other customers who are purchasing more excessive amounts of the haute cupcakes. “I heard her mentioning that you can buy the mix, but you can also buy a dozen and…”

“… freeze them?” I finish.

“Yep!” She exclaims with a conspiratorial wink.

“What a great idea!” I enthuse, while thinking – a great idea if my New Year’s resolution was to double the circumference of my thighs. I grin moronically – my teeth starting to hurt from all the exposure to the sugar-saturated air.

She beams back at me. I flash her one more overzealous smile, and then bolt toward the exit before I do something stupid like buy another two dozen eggnog cupcakes plus three canisters of the spice mix.

By the time I make it across the street to enjoy my lone cupcake with a pot of chamomile tea from Le Pain Quotidien, I’m practically shaking with anticipation.

Will it be as good as it was last week? Will the cake be supple and just as fragrant with gingerbread flavors? And will the eggnog cream cheese frosting be the same perfect snowcap – the ideal sweet foil to the spiced cake beneath?

As the courteous servers at Le Pain Quotidien pretend not to watch, I slowly unwrap the object of my mouth’s affection and bring my fork to the pristine surface. I know before even tasting it that it will be as good as I remembered it.

And it is – reconfirming what I suspected the previous weekend. It’s the best cupcake I’ve had this year.

“What kind did you get?” Asks the floor manager who gave me the okay to eat my outside food product when I arrived.

“Eggnog.” I respond, my voice thick with heady emotion.

He turns in surprise, as though he had expected me to say something mundane like “red velvet.”

“Wow, that sounds great.”

I shake my head. “No, it’s amazing. You should really go get one.”

He nods, a smile streaming across his face. “Maybe I will…”

When I leave, I pause – glancing across the street at the, now, much shorter line at Sprinkles.

Should I get the mix? Go buy a dozen more to freeze?

I shake my head. No, I don’t need it. The satisfaction from that one cupcake is enough. I can move on.

Until next year.

Sprinkles Cupcakes
9635 Santa Monica Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
(310) 274-8765


Jenn said...

Oooo...I've got to take a trip down to sprinkles this week.

Anna A. said...

PMSing singletons! hah i love it. Really the best all year? Do not tempt me. I'm still vouching for my cardamom & rose petal cupcakes.

Diana said...

Jenn - DO IT! You won't regret it! :) Unless they are sold out ;)

Anna - So GOOD. Though in the interests of full disclosure, I haven't eaten many cupcakes this year...

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

I'm not the biggest sprinkles fan, but you might have sold me. I'm also not an egg nog fan, but I trust your judgement you haven't led me astry yet. I'm might just stand in line for one!