Monday, January 4, 2010

Holiday Nut Mix: Not suitable for any New Year's diet

“Don’t open these unless you are prepared to eat the whole thing in one sitting.” I warned my friend Ashley as I handed her a bag of David Lebovitz’s holiday nut mix yesterday afternoon.

She laughed like I was kidding.

“No, really.” I said, locking my eyes with hers. “Don’t open it.”

I’d made the mistake of making the belated holiday sweet and spicy nut mix on New Year’s Day – just hours before my dad’s annual Mexican feast of homemade chicken enchiladas, carne asada and black beans. I thought it would be nice to have an appetizer ready when my brother and sister-in-law arrived at 5:00 – a little something to nibble whilst we waited for the golden cheese crusted enchiladas to emerge from the oven.

I didn’t expect us (ie. me) to eat half the bowl.

And I certainly didn’t think I’d need to leave the room in order to keep my hands off the addictive mix that I can never ever ever make again.

Ever.

But that doesn’t mean that others shouldn’t make it. Others who have more self-control about these types of things. The ones who say, “I’ll just have a bite” of dessert and then actually just have one bite leaving me to devour the rest of the flourless chocolate cake even though I’m already full and don’t particularly like flourless chocolate cake and didn’t want to order it in the first place because I knew this would happen.

Those people.

This recipe is for them. Because I firmly believe that even those people – “the others” who make me feel inferior because I eat carbs after 2 pm and put salt on my oranges – won’t be able to resist this seductive snack.

Spiced Glazed Nuts and Pretzel Mix
Adapted from David Lebovitz who adapted from The Sweet Life in Paris

2 cups mixed raw nuts (untoasted) – I used cashews, pecans and almonds
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (cut down from ¾ teaspoon)
1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups small pretzel twists (I used Goldfish pretzels)

Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring once for even toasting.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup.


Add the warm nuts, stirring until coated. Then mix in the salt and pretzels, and stir until the nuts and pretzels are completely coated.

Spread the mixture back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 12-18 minutes (I baked them the full 18 minutes), stirring twice during cooking. Remove from oven and cool completely, separating the nuts and pretzels as they cool.

Once cool, this mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

i don't I would had be able to stop munching on those. I love nuts. I could snack on them morning, noon and night if I could. Mmmm... I think I'll make some.

The Blonde Duck said...

I couldn't resist it! I hope you had a great holiday!

Esi said...

Ok, I guess I won't be making this...but I will be making a version of your quinoa w/ fall fruits tonight :)

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

These sound absolutely delicious! I have a hard time resisting plain nuts - I know I would eat all of these. At once.

Diana said...

Jenn - I'm the same way with nuts - they are worse than chocolate. I could eat an entire bag of salted cashews if provoked - dangerous!!!

Miranda - Thanks! Hope you had a nice one too! :)

Esi - Oh yay! Hope you enjoy!

Reeni - Make them, but be sure to have lots of people around to eat them with you!

Ashley said...

Highly addicting. They remind me of 101cookbooks' sweet and spicy walnuts - which are also delicious.

The Duo Dishes said...

Hopefully people will start throwing away the Chex Mix as soon as they see how easy it is to make your own mix of crunchy things. We do nuts all the time, but adding pretzels is great for another salty bite.