Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chocolate Soufflé Cupcakes with Mint Cream: Till death do us part

I stare agog at the screen in front of me.

“Chocolate soufflé cupcakes with mint cream,” I read, my eyes salivating at the title of the post on Smitten Kitchen.

I know before I even see the recipe that they will be mine – for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

Forever and ever, amen.

For once, I don’t look for the flaws – the recipe deal breakers that might dissuade me from making them.

“It’s too fussy and complicated.”

“It’s asking too much of me.”

“It’s not the right time – I’m not in the right place to commit to this right now.”

I don’t care that the recipe is inherently risky. Souffles are notoriously finicky – the type of dessert that can go terribly right or terribly wrong with the slightest provocation. I know that I will have to apply a delicate hand to the egg whites lest I crush their soft peaks with my spatula. I know that even if I do tread lightly, the flourless cupcakes might still fall flat into the depths of my muffin tin.

The thought is terrifying, but also exhilarating.

I want to take a chance on them. In fact, I’m giddy with excitement about the possibility that I might discover something better than I ever could have imagined in my wildest dreams.

So I print the recipe.

I buy the white chocolate and peppermint extract.

And I commit to starting a relationship with the chocolate soufflé cupcakes.

There’s a lot of chopping and beating and mixing in the beginning – at one point I even take out the food scale for the effort. An oven is preheated, a muffin tin is buttered and filled, and suddenly they are done.


I tenderly drop a dollop of mint cream over the top of the fattest in the bunch, sprinkle it with chocolate shavings and ready my fork.

One thing leads to another…

And…

Well…

Let's just say I’ve recently updated my Facebook status.

For better, for worse. Till death do us part.

LinkRecipe for incredible, amazing, best-I've-ever-had chocolate soufflé cupcakes with mint cream can be found on Smitten Kitchen.

11 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmm, want to make that mint cream for a cake. Mmmmmm!

Jenn said...

Oh chocolate....dear chocolate....*drool*

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

Yum! What an amazing combo. Will you please make me some =)!

Esi said...

Are you giving up chocolate again this year? If so, I can take leftovers off your hands...thanks!

yutjangsah said...

Yumm. Is your new facebook status "it's complicated" bc the recipe is complicated? I second Esi's emotion about taking the leftovers off your bleedy cuticled hands.

Gastronomer said...

Drooooool! Making risky baked goods can be so satisfying. Congrats! These look delightful!

The Blonde Duck said...

Delectable!

Ashley said...

oh no. i just read this post hungry. bad decision.

Diana said...

Chrystal & Amir - It would be great on a cake! Or just plain on a spoon...

Jenn - Haha, yes, oh yes, dear dear sweet chocolate...

Nastassia - In exchange for some Joan's tuna and pickles? Anytime!

Esi - Hah, I am, but I left the rest of the batch with my parents in OC. They wouldn't have been safe with me!

Sook - Actually it's, "I've found my lobster."

Cathy - Not as risky as a heart shaped cake, but it waaaas my first attempt at souffle.

Miranda - Hey! Hope you are doing well! Good to see your friendly face. :)

Ashley - Try I posted this recipe the night before I gave up chocolate for 6 weeks. Oy.

Kung Food Panda said...

Wooooo, you made it! When I first saw the post, I was wondering where you got these from! :P Nice work D!!

Nicole said...

omg that sounds awesome! looks pretty darn good too!