Monday, February 22, 2010

Torturous Chocolate Macaroons


I stare down at the melted chocolate streaked across my thumb. It would be so easy to lick it off – it and the chocolate still clinging to the sides of the glass bowl in front of me.

I stare at the shreds of sweetened coconut littering the countertop. It would be so easy to pluck a strand off and munch it while I tidy up the kitchen – to savor the sugary taste of an item I normally don’t even particularly like.

I stare at the neat rows of chocolate macaroons cooling on a wire rack. It would be so easy to reach down and take one. My mind flashes back to the previous Tuesday night when I made the delicate cookies for a co-worker.

Tuesday night, I think.

It feels like an eternity ago. My last bite of chocolate – and incidentally my last bite of dessert before I foolishly decided to give that up for Lent as well.


I hadn’t expected to like the cookie/macaroon hybrids as much as I did. I don’t even particularly like traditional macaroons due to the overabundance of coconut (and, of course, lack of chocolate), but these were different. The melted chocolate chips that I carefully folded into the egg white batter rendered the cookies decidedly brownie-like. The chewy interior was a delightful contrast to the light, crisp outer shell. I ate two of them that evening.

Tuesday night, I think, again.

My head aches with lust as my eyes fondle the 45 cookies that I’ve made for the Stir It 28 cocktail fundraiser for Haiti relief that will take place the following day.


Torture, I muse, as I wash the chocolate off my hand and watch it slither its way down the drain.

I clean the bowls, wipe up the counters and put the macaroons into an air-tight container.

Out of sight, out of mind, I tell myself.

But the aroma lingers in my apartment. My tongue moistens at the thought of crushing one of the cookies between my teeth. If I close my eyes, I can almost taste it…

Instead, I drink tea and calculate how many days it will be before I can savor my favorite form of emotional therapy again.

42.

It’s going to be a long six weeks. I think, and take another sip of my very unsweetened tea.

Chocolate Macaroons
From Bon Appétit’s fast easy fresh cookbook
Yield: Makes 30 (Note: Recipe can easily be halved)

1 1/3 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces), divided

2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper (I used a slip pad). Place 1 cup chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on low setting at 10-second intervals until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Cool just to room temperature.

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, then vanilla, beating until whites are thick and glossy. Fold in melted chocolate and coconut, then remaining 1/3 cup chocolate chips.


Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake cookies 10 minutes or until tops are dry and cracked and tester inserted into centers comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool cookies on sheets on racks. Store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days.

13 comments:

Jenn said...

You have no idea how tempted I was to grab one from you!! I substituted by eat two of your delicious tuna cakes.

It was great seeing you again, too. Hopefully we'll have another LA meet up soon. ;-D

Bianca said...

Now that I've seen this post I recall the macaroons.... I must have met you very briefly then! Such a (good) crazy night it was! :-)

Anna A. said...

stay strong my friend! i am also fasting now - greek orthodox style = no animal products from anything that bleeds. We both have Easters April 4 this year so we can celebrate together!

Gastronomer said...

Poor poor, Diana. Hang in there.

These cookies were totally fab!

Diana said...

Jenn - I'm glad you enjoyed the tuna cakes! I snuck one of those too when no one was looking! :)

Bianca - I think we did! I remember meeting a Bianca - a shame I didn't make the connection and realize it was you!

Anna - We should plan a post-Easter meet-up that involves meat and dessert! We'll deserve it!

Cathy - I'm hanging! Barely...

Ashley said...

They. Are. Delish.

Esi said...

I totally should have grabbed one. I suppose I can make them now. You are strong, woman. I don't know how you do it!

Kung Food Panda said...

Poor D. Those cookies were delicious!! :)

Anisha said...

Both of your plates were absolutely delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe for the chocolate macaroons -- they were DIVINE! :)

bagnatic said...

:( stay strong. the macaroons look delicious. i'm glad you posted the recipe.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

I really don't know how you have lasted so long, i'm totally impressed! But can you still bake me some of these they look so good! =)

Diana said...

Ashley – I’m glad you got to enjoy them for me!

Esi – They are a cinch to make! I made the entire 45 in an hour and a half – including baking time.

Danny – Glad you liked them!

Anisha – You are so sweet – you’ll have to let me know if you try the recipe. I bet they would work great as holders for some vanilla ice cream. Just saying….

Bagnatic – Thanks for the encouragement! I’ll make it! First few days are always the hardest when giving up a habit… right? Or at least I sure hope so!

Nastassia – I’ll bake them for you anytime!

The Duo Dishes said...

Thank you for your sacrifice! You made many people very happy inside.