Saturday, April 24, 2010

Blueberry and Pear Buttermilk Muffins: Because single girls deserve muffins too

I didn’t wake up this morning thinking that I was going to make myself muffins. Breakfast was the last thing on my mind when I reluctantly extracted myself from my tangle of pink sheets to hit the gym. And even if I had been thinking about my stomach rather than burning off some of the calories from the “doughnut flight” I consumed at Grace Restaurant last night (more on that later), I would have been thinking about what I always eat for breakfast – oatmeal.

Yet, when I arrived home today, sweaty and sticky and redder than Nick Nolte after a cocktail party, I had an inexplicable urge to bake myself muffins. I had almost a full carton of buttermilk leftover from the strawberry muffins I made a newly engaged friend last Saturday, a pear that was on its last legs (ie. turning brown), and some blueberries in my freezer that were begging to be baked. It was really only sensible that I turn them into muffins!

I haven’t done much baking for myself. Mostly because I fear what might happen if I have an entire batch of cookies all to myself (the memories of what my two college roommates and I did to pan after pan of brownies during our senior year are far too fresh in my mind.) I also feel a bit funny about being so self-indulgent and potentially wasteful. Single girls who live alone and consider Anderson Cooper the man in their life don’t have any use for a dozen muffins. Especially the morning after chowing down on three doughnuts – with ice cream.

Even so, why shouldn’t I do something nice for myself on a day when I am about to watch another of my closest friends walk down the aisle with the man in her life? (Incidentally, not Anderson Cooper, but we won’t hold that against him.) I’m a happy person, and am truly thrilled for my friends who have found their other halves, but why should I wait around for someone to discover just how charming I am to treat myself to a homemade breakfast?

I’m worth these blueberry and pear buttermilk muffins -- with or without the validation of "a ring on it." I think Anderson Cooper would agree.

Blueberry and Pear Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins
Makes 6 muffins for a fabulous single lady ("Throw your hands up!")

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 beaten egg (approximately 2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/12 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons oatmeal to sprinkle over the top

Combine oatmeal and buttermilk in mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for one hour. (Today, I only let stand 30 minutes with fine results.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove oatmeal/buttermilk mixture from refrigerator, and line a standard muffin tin with aluminum muffin liners.

Combine flour, baking powder, wheat germ, cinnamon, and salt in separate bowl. Whisk together until light in texture.

Add egg to the oatmeal and buttermilk mixture and whip together until batter develops some volume. Stir in the vanilla, oil and sugar. Add the flour mixture, and fold in until just incorporated. Fold in the pear, then the blueberries.

Divide the batter evenly among the 6 muffin tins. Top with a sprinkle of oatmeal and bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool 10 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

Anna A. said...

Yes! First to comment! Love the muffins TALF! I made boysenberry-blueberry ones the other day but unfortunately only got 2 since my bro ate the rest.

Ashley said...

This single girl [as in not wed] has plenty of use for a dozen muffins. Not that it's a hint or anything...

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

wow that sounds good! i think every girl deserves muffins :) but hopefully they would lead to muffin tops, but then again thats what bar method is for!

Diana said...

Anna - Oh those sound great! I think I could use more boysenberry in my life. Boys too. ;)

Ashley - Haha, noted.

Nastassia - I do too! Muffins for everyone! Muffin tops for no one! ;)