Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Strawberry Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins: It had to be you

It had to be muffins.

But not just any old muffin, like the tragically overdone blueberry or banana nut. While they are overdone for a reason (they taste good), there’s nothing particularly special about something that can be found at Starbucks or the coffee shop on the corner that strives to be the anti-Starbucks.

I half-considered whipping up Nancy Silverton’s bran muffins, because I love and adore her, but bran muffins aren’t necessarily exciting either. Even if they are Nancy Silverton bran muffins and contain enough fiber to keep one regular for a year.

No, these muffins had to be something really special -- the type of muffin that would adequately express my excitement for a dear friend who recently moved into a new apartment, started a new job and gotten engaged. The humble baked good seemed wildly appropriate for these changes in her life – a symbol of domesticity, and a portable breakfast for her to take with her to work on days when a cup of coffee is not quite enough. She could freeze them if she wished, or share them with her fiancĂ©, or eat them all within a two-day period as a reward for finishing unpacking. Or not finishing unpacking.

I wouldn’t judge her.

But they had to be good enough to do all those things, and also wholesome enough so as not to be confused with cake or dessert. I wouldn’t want to give the future blushing bride a muffin top. I’m not that kind of friend.

So, after much thought – a whole day of thought, to be exact – I came back to my initial impulse to make strawberry buttermilk oatmeal muffins. It seemed right. It felt right. And when I sampled two to be absolutely positively undeniably sure that they were absolutely positively undeniably okay to give to her, they tasted right.

I hope she agrees.

Strawberry Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup strawberries, finely chopped
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of oatmeal to sprinkle over the top

Combine oatmeal and buttermilk in mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove oatmeal/buttermilk mixture from refrigerator, and line a standard muffin tin with aluminum muffin liners.

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in separate bowl. Whisk together until light in texture.

Add egg to the oatmeal and buttermilk mixture and whip together until batter develops some volume. Stir in the vanilla, oil and sugar. Add the flour mixture, and fold in until just incorporated. Fold in the strawberries.

Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin tins. Top with a sprinkle of oatmeal and bake in the oven for approximately 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool 10 minutes before serving.



18 comments:

Maria said...

The muffins look fantastic. I love baking with buttermilk.

Anna A. said...

These blow bran to pieces! Not only that but the strawbs are in season now and buttermilk just makes baked goods better. Good stuff TALF! Your amiga is lucky to have ya.

Jenn said...

Nicely done!! Please tell me you have more. I don't think I've ever had strawberries in a muffin of any kind before. I'm interested in trying it out.

sarah j. gim said...

"I wouldn’t want to give the future blushing bride a muffin top. I’m not that kind of friend."

hahahaha.

but i am. bake her a layer cake!!

:D

Esi said...

I'm soo baking these soon!

Diana said...

Maria - Me too! The hard part is coming up with ways to use up the extra buttermilk after!

Anna - Strawberries and buttermilk are an amazing combination. Maybe I'll make them for you some day! Though I might have to throw some poppyseeds and almonds in there for ya...

Jenn - I spent hours looking for a strawberry buttermilk muffin recipe online and couldn't find one! It had to happen. So I came up with one myself!

Sarah - You know you've been there - urging your sister to take another slice of cake so you can be the "skinny" one. I know all those tricks... ;)

Sook said...

What a lucky friend! Those look yummies! Hows come you never bake for me? Hehee. A muffin top layer cake sounds good!

Ashley said...

i may consider moving just to see what kind of sympathy baked goods i get.

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmm buttermilk. Is there any baked good that cannot benefit from buttermilk? No way!

Gastronomer said...

These muffins remind me of Coolio's "Strawberry Hills Banana Muffins Forever!"

Diana said...

Esi - I have a feeling you'll really like them! I was thinking they'd actually be good with a little thyme or rosemary in there to make them a bit savory...

Sook - A layer cake, huh? Who do you think I am? Martha Stewart?!? ;)

Ashley - How about we just bake something together? I'm thinking something with chocolate and salty caramel...

Chrystal & Amir - I haven't found one yet!

Cathy - I considered that recipe! But I had to have me some buttermilk and oats. :)

Nicole said...

oh my these look delicious! maybe i will make them for paul and i! what type of oatmeal? just the plain oats, right? were they hard to make? so delicious looking!

Kung Food Panda said...

I have a question: Who ate all the muffins that you made? :)

Diana said...

Nicole- Yep, plain good old fashioned Quaker Oats! You can also add a banana in there if you want. Maybe sneak a few chocolate chips in too!

Danny - It's a secret. But her name begins with an S and ends with a K. ;)

Jewelsluvs2bake said...

I just made these the other day because I have been on the hunt for a good strawberry muffin. The only problem I found with these was there was way too much baking powder. The taste of it was really overwhelming. If I make them again, I will probably cut it back to about half, maybe only a teaspoon. If you put butter on them, it kind of masks the taste though.

cjfeliziani said...

Diana - I just made this recipe today and I wanted to let you know how it turned out.

I used whole milk instead of buttermilk and olive oil instead of veg. For the topping, I mixed 3 tbs oatmeal with 3 tbs sugar and 1 tbs olive oil, mixed and then sprinkled the "cobbler-like" topping on top. I also baked mine just a tad longer to have the tops brown and the strawberries bubbling.

The muffins came out dense and moist and really like a warm bowl of strawberry oatmeal! Great recipe! I reccomend it to anyone.. and it's quite healthy :)

Kara D said...

These turned out really well! I subbed the AP flour for white whole wheat, but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. They are very moist and delicious. I did not notice any overwhelming baking powder. :)

Customer Service at its Best said...

I just made these and I will say they are real good! Do not leave them in the oven longer than what they should. I made strawberry, banana and strawberry banana. OK, ok, so I hate waste and what other yummy way to use up goodness. haha