Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stress-free Sea-Scallops with Orange and Rosemary

“There has to be more to it than this,” I think, re-reading the recipe for the fourth time.

Surely there is something I’m missing – an obscure ingredient that can only be procured at a specialty gourmet market, or the small print that informs the cook that the sauce needs to simmer for at least two hours and, oh by the way, a key component of the dish needs to be made the day before.

Sucker.

I re-read the recipe for Sea-Scallops with Orange and Rosemary from O, The Oprah Magazine one last time, scrutinizing every detail, every ingredient, every element involved in the preparation of my Sunday night supper.

There’s nothing – not a single recipe deal breaker nor complicated procedure that will wrankle my nerves and leave me feeling flummoxed and red-faced and ready to chuck a pan out the window.

(I frustrate easily in the kitchen.)

And even though it’s already 8:30 pm, and I’m starving and grouchy about the impending work week and the excel grids that await me in the morning, I don’t feel any trepidation about testing out a new recipe at such a late hour. I tenderly fluff the wild rice I will serve alongside my saucy scallops, and calmly begin assembling the other components. I’m perfectly at ease with this dish.

Everything comes together seamlessly without a single mishap or urge to chuck anything out the window, and a little after 9:00 pm, I sit down to an elegant meal that looks nothing like some of the undesirable offerings a certain high-pitched brunette churns out in 30 minutes or less.

“This, I could get used to,” I think as I sliver off a supple bite of scallop and sip from my glass of Sauvignon Blanc. “Stress-free Sea-Scallops.”

Maybe Oprah really does know everything. Or, at the very least, has an excellent food editor.

Sea Scallops with Orange and Rosemary
Adapted from O, the Oprah Magazine
Serves 1

1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
3-4 large sea scallops (about ¼ - 1/3 pound)
¼ cup dry white wine
¼ cup fresh orange juice (from about ½ a large orange)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon orange zest (original recipe calls for julienned orange peel)
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
¼ cup wild rice, prepared Saveur-style
Olive oil
Sea salt, freshly ground pepper

Prepare ¼ cup wild rice according to Saveur instructions for perfect brown rice.

Pat scallops dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, and set on fresh paper towels to drain off any excess liquid. (Scallops sear better when they are dry.)

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté shallots over medium heat until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.

Wipe up any debris left in the pan (will interfere with searing), and return to high heat. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and sear scallops for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove, and set aside.

Add wine, lemon juice, orange juice and orange zest to skillet (the sauce will sizzle and steam). Bring to a boil, and reduce until thickened, about 5 minutes (mine took about 2-3 minutes). Taste for sweetness; add more lemon juice, salt, and pepper if necessary. Return shallots to pan and swirl in butter; add scallops to heat through and coat with sauce. Sprinkle with rosemary, and serve with rice on the side.

10 comments:

Esi said...

All Sunday dinners should be delicious and stress free. Nice job.

RG said...

Diana, that looks so good! Did you take that picture out of the magazine or is that actually your own picture of the dish? Either way, it sounds great, too :)

Diana said...

Esi - And include wine. :)

RG - It's actually my own picture! I took about 10 shots to get the right one... though the color could be better - need one of those fancy light boxes! ;) But THANK YOU - your comment kind of made my day!

stuffycheaks said...

Oh wow, never thought to use OJ in scallops. sounds like a nice combo, to pair with mimosa!

The Duo Dishes said...

Liking this a lot. Seafood is the way to go when you want a fast meal of course, and this has so much flavor. Oh, and you know you can make a lightbox in about 20 minutes if you want! Easy easy!

Gastronomer said...

You are a classy broad, D ;-) Scallops look so nice and juicy!

Kung Food Panda said...

Looks delicious. One day I need to try your cooking. I'll get the ingredients of course :P Kale? Quinoa? This Panda will be eating healthier!

Anna A. said...

Yummy Talf! I never thought of rosemary going with scallops but it makes sense. Loving the stress free Sunday din din.

bagnatic said...

i loooove scallops and this recipe looks like it can fancy up the typical way i prepare them (usually butter, salt, and pepper). stress free anything rocks! yum.

Diana said...

Stephanie - Hah, I'd never think of pairing it with a mimosa, but now that I think about it...

Chrystal & Amir - 20 minutes you say... hmm... do tell!

Cathy - Juicy, indeed -- and a proper texture to go with the juicy sauce.

Danny - I'd love if you did! My goal for 2010 (aside from eating at Providence and having my first pho) is to get you to make quinoa and kale at home. I know you can do it.

Anna - This scallop dish is definitely Talf-approved.

Amy - I'm generally a purist when it comes to scallops, but I did love this preparation. The bright flavors were really lovely with the salty bite of scallop.