Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eat My Blog 2.0: Just in time for bikini season...


“$3000.” She whispered in awe.

Anjali from Delicious Coma, Laurie from G-Ma’s Bakery and I looked at each other in shock, then back at Cathy from Gastronomy Blog to make sure she wasn’t kidding.

She grinned back at us -- her face impossibly bright -- and we all let out a whoop of excitement.

We’d just raised $3000 for the LA Regional Food Bank.

And we couldn’t wait to do it again.

After the success of the first Eat My Blog this past December, all of us on the planning committee were eager to start planning the second bake sale that will be taking place this coming Saturday, June 19th from 10 am – 4 pm at Tender Greens in West Hollywood. With Cathy, the mastermind behind Eat My Blog, leading the charge, we flooded each other’s inboxes with ideas for the second go around.

“Let’s ask Ludo and Evan Kleiman to donate!”

“Let’s make t-shirts!”

“Let’s make people dress up in cookie costumes and dance around Santa Monica Blvd!”

While we don’t currently plan on having t-shirts (or cookie costumes), there are many generous chefs and restaurants, including Ludo Lefebrve and KCRW “Good Food” host Evan Kleiman, that will be donating baked goods for the cause. In addition to Ludo and Evan, Debbie Lee from the “Next Food Network Star Season 5,” the Chicks w/ Knives, BakeLab, Starry Kitchen, Drago Centro, Valerie Confections, Cube, Fraiche, Choppe Choppe, the Hollywood Corner, Tender Greens, and Plaisir will all be firing up their ovens for the LA Regional Food Bank. It has been truly remarkable to see the out pouring of support from the local dining community.

With over 70 bakers and food bloggers on board, we anticipate over 2,000 treats priced between $1 and $4. Highlights include the LA Time’s Daily Dish’s Momofuku Crack Pie, the Chicks with Knives’ Blueberry & Raspberry Jam Wedge, and Cathy's amazing Triple Cherry Streusal Bars that I was lucky enough to try a couple weeks ago. Larger items, like Evan Kleiman’s galettes will be priced accordingly.

In true Diana Takes an (Indecisive) Bite fashion, I still haven’t decided what I’m going to make. But I do have a few tricks in my pink Anthropologie apron’s pockets…

(Hopefully I won’t have to offer those instead of the treats.)
Either way, I can’t wait for Saturday. And I can’t wait to see Cathy’s bright face telling us just how much we’ve raised to help end the persistent hunger in Los Angeles County.

8 comments:

Mike T. said...

This time I will be sure to find you and say, "Bonjour."

Gastronomer said...

I hope your treat has rainbow sprinkles!

Here's to another great bake sale! XO!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

see you there! it is going to be awesome!

Diana said...

Mike - Yes! Please do! :)

Cathy - Can't wait!!!

Nastassia - So looking forward to seeing you -- it's been too long! Need to congratulate you in person!

Jenn said...

I've got all my ingredients ready to go for my treat. Anxious to bake something up in the kitchen. It's been a while.

Ashley said...

Sad to miss this one! Maybe you can make an "Inga stash" in the corner if I slip you some singles?

Kung Food Panda said...

Great cause! Can't wait to see you guys there!

The Duo Dishes said...

Congrats to you guys! You did an awesome job raising so much money!