Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Inappropriately Good Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad

It’s all wrong.

So, wrong.

I shouldn’t be roasting a butternut squash in June. I shouldn’t even be buying butternut squash. It’s not seasonal. It’s not sustainable. It’s not local.

I am a terrible, terrible person.

But I love that nutty sweet squash. Even when it’s almost summer, even when it’s 80 degrees out, even when I nearly slice my finger off trying to peel and cut it, the sight of the orange flesh is enough to make my heart go all aflutter.

Especially when I am using it in a recipe like this one.

Once I stumbled upon it, there was no way I couldn’t make the Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad that both Smitten Kitchen and Orangette have featured on their blogs. I couldn’t possibly wait for fall to follow in their kitchen footsteps. It would haunt me. Taunt me. Jab me in the brain until I finally relented and brought home the two and half pound squash from Mexico.

So here I am. Roasting a butternut squash in June. Mixing it with chickpeas, arugula, shallots, cilantro, pinenuts, and a tahini dressing that I want to lick off my appendages in a completely inappropriate fashion.

It’s all wrong.

So wrong.

But it tastes so right.

Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted it from Orangette, who adapted it from Casa Moro

Yield: 4 servings

1 medium butternut squash (about 2 to 2 ½ pounds), peeled, seed, and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
One 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 ½ cups)
3 shallots, sliced into thing rings
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Few handfuls of arugula
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
Salt, pepper
Olive Oil

Tahini Dressing
1 medium garlic clove, roasted
¼ cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini or tahini butter
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon olive oil

Serving Suggestion:
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and prepared according to package instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread butternut squash and thinly sliced shallots out onto baking sheet. Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until soft.

Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini and lemon juice. Add the water and olive oil, whisk well, and then mash in the garlic. Taste for seasoning. The sauce should have plenty of nutty tahini flavor, but also a little kick of lemon. You will probably need to add more water to thin it out.

When butternut squash, shallots and tahini dressing are ready, heat large frying pan to medium-high heat and swirl a swig of olive oil into the pan. Add the garlic, reduce the heat and then sauté for 1 minute before adding the chickpeas. Cook together another couple minutes, add the arugula to the pan and continue sautéing until arugula has wilted. Toss in the butternut squash, shallots and then once combined, reduce the heat to low and add the cilantro and tahini dressing. Serve immediately with quinoa on the side. Top with toasted pine nuts.


Gastronomer said...

Girl, you gotta eat with the seasons! I will try this recipe when winter rolls around ;-)

Esi said...

What Cathy said! Haha. Although, I have seen a few butternuts left at the FM.

Diana said...

Cathy - I know. I'm so ashamed. :(

Esi - The squash I got WAS from Mexico. So that's not tooo far! Practically throwing distance!

Anna A. said...

I've totally been sizing up this recipe for a long, long time my dear friend! TALFs think alike. Good to know you made it and approve. I will be making this soon... like in 2 seasons from now:) ahem.

Jenn said...

hehe...don't worry I won't tell anyone. But I do have to admit I probably would have done the same thing, too.

camelia said...


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,


Victoria said...

How about eating this with lettuce? anyways thanks for the recipe!

By the way if you guys need computer or laptop repair or data recovery please visit us at 11322 Santa Monica Blvd Los Angeles or call us at (310) 966-9099 or (310) 966-6766. Computer Palace - Sales Service & Repair in Los Angeles