Friday, June 25, 2010

Saban Free Clinic's Extravaganza for the Senses: A great reason to overeat

Photo from last year's Extravaganza for the Senses

Growing up I had a fascination with Sizzler. Not just because my shrimp-loving older brother used to talk about it with the same enthusiasm he used to describe his pump up Reebok sneakers, but because I loved the concept of an all you can eat buffet.

Even though I had no interest in their “signature” seafood options, I would beg my mom to take my brothers and me to Sizzler for lunch. It wasn’t about unlimited fried shrimp for me, it was about all the other unlimited options – specifically the dessert. My eyes would glow like miniature light bulbs at the sight of the frozen yogurt machine that I could use to pump out as much chocolate yogurt as my little heart desired. Back then I didn’t need to practice restraint – the more sugary calories I consumed, the merrier I was.

As a somewhat “grown” woman, my ability to eat all that my bigger heart desires is somewhat compromised by my desire to continue fitting into my jeans. That said, my eyes still light up at the sight of a vast buffet of food and drink – especially when that food is prepared by some of the top chefs in the city, and especially when that drink is wine.

On Saturday, July 17th, I imagine my eyes will be glowing so brightly they could direct a ship into a harbor. That evening, I will be attending the Saban Free Clinic’s Extravaganza for the Senses, which has been named one of Southern California’s Top 100 Events (BizBash Magazine). With unlimited samples from over 40 of LA’s top restaurants and food purveyors like Angelini Osteria, Jar and Valerie Confections, as well as sips from over 80 wineries like my beloved Kim Crawford, it’s not hard to see why it has received such acclaim. I am particularly excited to see Suzanne Tracht from Jar perform a live cooking demonstration at the event (she does amazing things with purple potatoes).

But beyond the potential for star chef-gazing and overstuffing one’s gullet like I did when I hit the Sizzler buffet as a kid, the event is notable for another reason. All proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the Saban Free Clinic, which provides free health care, dental and social services to the most vulnerable members of Los Angeles Community. This isn’t just a great cause, it’s a cause that impacts far more lives than it should in our sprawling suburban metropolis.


Tickets are $80 prior to July 1st and $200 for VIP tickets, which include VIP parking, early VIP entry into the event, and seating in the exclusive VIP guest area overlooking the event. As of July 1, tickets are $100 and $225, respectively. For more information or reservations, call 323.330.1670 or visit www.thesabanfreeclinic.org/extravaganza.


For those who cannot attend, but would still like to support the clinic, you can find more information on donations and volunteering at the clinic’s website.


The Saban Free Clinic’s 13th Annual Extravaganza for the Senses

Sunset Gower Studios

1438 North Gower Street

Hollywood, CA 90028


Saturday, July 17, 2010

6pm – 10pm ~ VIP

7pm – 10pm ~ General Admission

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Had you told me what the charity was originally, I may have considered abandoning my 3 year anniversary plans! Saban Free Clinic is an institution in the world of public health.

Diana said...

Ashley - D'oh! Next year! :)

SinoSoul said...

It's worth nothing this is probably also a great event for meeting MDs...