Friday, July 9, 2010

Raspberry White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Blondies: Redemption

The recipe haunted me for weeks. I tossed and turned at night as I tried to figure out how to get it just right. I even e-mailed the following plea to the amazingly talented Pastry Chef Kristin Feuer of BakeLAB begging her for advice:

“I'm still having mental wars about how to perfect my raspberry blondie recipe for [Eat My Blog]. I've always been of the mindset that butter should never be melted prior to bakage, but most blondie recipes do instruct to melt the butter and sugar together in a saucepan. What are your thoughts? To melt or not to melt? And for raspberry white chocolate macadamia blondies, would you still do all brown sugar or a combination of white and brown? I know, I am being crazy about this and should just make a different recipe that isn't driving me up the wall already, but I feel this need to perfect them!”

I continued on from there – overwhelming her with further questions about moisture and what to do with the raspberries that were turning the blondies into a gooey mess by the second day. Despite my seemingly never-ending neurotic queries, Kristin remained patient with me, carefully explaining the science behind making that “perfect” blondie that I desired to sell at Eat My Blog this past June 19th.

And then she gave me the golden suggestion – the suggestion that finally put my rabid mind to rest:

“Your best bet to get a raspberry-flavored blondie would be to swirl a raspberry puree (COOKED DOWN if you're making it fresh!!) or raspberry jam. Then you get the flavor of the raspberry without the added water.”


This woman is a genius, I tell you. A GENIUS! (So everybody sign up for her summer baking classes so you can be geniuses by extension.)

As for raspberry white chocolate macadamia blondie attempt #4? Courtesy of that mad rad raspberry puree (and Rita, my mad rad KitchenAid stand mixer), it turned out quite nicely, thank you very much. But don’t take my word for it. Go ahead and take a peak yourself…

7 comments:

Esi said...

So glad you finally got them right!

Jenn said...

I feel like making some blondies myself. Yum!!!!

oddlyme said...

Hooray! Congratulations!

And extra big thanks to Kristin, for being darn smart - and nice enough to share it : )

Cathy Danh said...

These must've sold out rapidly because there was no trace of raspberry, white chocolate blondie goodness when I was filling up my box. Bummer! These look fantastic!!

Anna A. said...

Your blondies were my absolute most favorite item at EMB!! Sooooooo... good. Hurray for ol' Rita and that clever Kristen.

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh yes, melting the butter is the way to go. You get that awesome caramel-ly, browned butter flavor that makes blondies so good. Glad you got them down!

Kung Food Panda said...

I ate it and it's GOOOOOD!!