Monday, August 16, 2010

Honeydew Lime Popsicles: A healthy alternative to ice cream?

When I was in high school, I decided to give up desserts during my junior year cross-country season. I thought that by abandoning the gummy bears I used to devour by the fist full and my mom’s loaded chocolate chip cookies, I’d run faster, lose a few pounds and be exactly like our team captain who we all idolized like she was Joey on “Dawson’s Creek.”

So I started drinking water instead of Coke, I developed an obsession with edamame as a post-workout snack, and I substituted lime popsicles for bowls of ice cream after dinner. Even though the popsicles contained a significant amount of sugar, in my naive mind, it wasn’t nearly as bad as a bowl of Dreyer’s Cookies and Cream.

Or at least it wasn’t until I started eating three of them at a time.


Needless to say, I didn’t get much faster or thinner that year.

If I had been eating these honeydew lime popsicles that I recently made for TasteSpotting, however, it might have been a different story. With four cups of fresh honeydew and only a fourth of a cup of sugar for 8-10 popsicles, they are considerably healthier than the lime popsicles I sucked down as a clueless teenager. Of course, now that I’ve tried them I can’t help but wonder how they would taste with some tequila added to the mix. I have a feeling I’d be sucking down more than three then…

3 comments:

Pearl said...

they look delish!

Ashley said...

tequila? what have you been hiding from me?!

Kung Food Panda said...

Those look delicious! Especially with the weather we're having recently.