Sunday, October 31, 2010

Make This Now: Fried Egg, Green Apple, Leek, Goat Cheese Sandwich

I had leeks, a little green apple and, the urge, of course.

I wanted to use up the remnants of my produce bin. Needed to use them up in order to feel like that upstanding, non-wasteful citizen I can never quite seem to be. You know, that person who always remembers to bring his or her grocery totes with them to the store, the person who would never dream of using a giant wad of paper towels to clean the stove, and the person who would consider it a travesty to throw away broccoli stems or beet greens.

"I'll make a pesto with them!" Mister or Missus superior human being says. "Or toss them into a salad!"

I, on the other hand, toss them into the garbage. Right next to the empty yogurt carton I forgot to recycle.

Again.

Yesterday, however, I was going to be resourceful. Creative. Both inspired and inspirational. I was going to use that quarter of an apple and half a small leek to make something amazing, stupendous -- worthy of a blog post.

And, for once, I actually did.

I remembered seeing an omelette recipe once that called for green apples, so impetuously decided to make a fried egg sandwich with the apple, leeks, spinach, goat cheese and a little balsamic/honey/Dijon dressing. Weird, yes, but also strangely delicious.

So now I compel you to make this sandwich. Not because you need to use up your produce to be the upstanding citizen that I'm not, but because you want to have a tart, sweet, salty, savory party in your mouth.

Or you need to cure your Halloween hangover.

Fried Egg, Apple, Leek, Goat Cheese Sandwich
Serves 1

1 whole wheat English muffin, toasted
1 egg
4 thin slices of green apple
1/2 a small leek, sliced into thin 1 1/2 inch strips
Handful spinach
Goat cheese
Salt, pepper
Olive oil, butter
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey

Whisk together vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard. Set aside.

Heat large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add a swirl of olive oil, then the leeks. Sprinkle with salt, reduce heat to medium, and saute until slightly caramelized (approximately 8-10 minutes). Add spinach, balsamic dressing, and cook together until liquid has evaporated. Remove from pan and set aside.

Clean frying pan completely, then return to stove. Heat over medium-high heat, add a pat of butter. Crack egg into the pan and fry according to preference (I like to stir my yolk into the white and then cook it like a burger patty until cooked completely through). Season with salt and pepper to taste. When egg is ready, turn heat off and add spinach and leeks to the opposite side of the pan to slightly reheat.

Spread goat cheese on both halves of the toasted English muffin. Top bottom half with fried egg, then top the egg with the slices of green apple, the leek and spinach mixture, and the other half of the muffin. Eat immediately.

6 comments:

Anna A. said...

Apples, egg and leeks oh, heck, even if this is your Halloween "trick" it sounds rather tasty. And Jesus loves you for not wasting.

Esi said...

I think this would be good any time of day!

The Duo Dishes said...

Just went through the same thing...gotta use up what you got! You never know what you'll end up with, but it's usually good.

bagnatic said...

i love green apples in savory dishes! good mash-up you got going on there.

Diana said...

Anna - I felt like the tastiness of the sandwich was my reward for being so resourceful! Yum!

Esi - I agree! I made it for lunch, but would happily have it for brekkie or dinner too.

Chrystal & Amir - Exactly! Plus, it's kind of fun to see what you can come up with!

Amy - Thanks! It was really tasty - highly recommend you make it if you like apples w/ savory eats.

stuffycheaks said...

yum! sans goat cheese of course. Who doesn't like leeks and fried eggs! Sigh.. why is it sooo hard to remember to bring the recycable bags with me. They sit in my car but I always forget to bring them out...