Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Little Dom's Spiced Pepita Brittle: My new addiction this holiday season

I pretended to be really excited about it.

“For me? Thank you so much!” I gushed when my friend presented me with a gift of Little Dom’s spiced pepita brittle a month ago.

She grinned with pleasure – clearly pleased with the product, but I couldn’t help but wonder if I’d ever even break the seal on the four ounce plastic container. While my sweet tooth knows no bounds when it comes to chocolate, baked goods, ice cream, and salted caramels, I’ve never been much of a brittle person.

I hate the way the confection sticks to my teeth, and I don’t derive any pleasure from the effort it takes to unhinge it from crevices of my molars. The name doesn’t help matters. Why would I want to eat something that’s brittle? It makes me think of something decidedly inedible, or an unpleasant person like the jerk who stole my parking place at Surfas because he was “tired of circling.”

So I tucked the container of brittle into my desk drawer at work (next to my collection of B.T. McElrath dark chocolate bars), and promptly forgot about it. A couple weeks went by before I remembered it was even there – just waiting for me to get desperate enough for a sweet fix to try it.

When I finally did reach that stage where exhaustion and a rabid sugar craving met in the middle of a long afternoon, I hesitantly broke the white and red striped ribbon holding the package together and tentatively extracted a small piece of the golden, glass-like pepita brittle. I plopped the section into my mouth and waited for the jaw pain and molar erosion to start.

It never did.

The brittle broke easily under the pressure of my teeth, releasing its pleasant spicy undertones of cinnamon, cayenne and aromatic spices onto my tongue. “It’s like fall is having a party in my mouth,” I thought as I reached for another, larger piece. I was similarly appreciative of the substantial amount of pepitas in each bite that helped to mitigate the feeling that I was eating pure sugar for my afternoon snack.

After I’d finished off a couple more pieces, I sent my friend an e-mail with a sincere “thank you” this time for her thoughtful gift. Over that next week, I even found myself foregoing the dark chocolate bars for the pepita brittle. It’s just that good.

In addition to the crack-like seasonal spiced pepita brittle ($3.95), this holiday season the Deli at Little Doms is offering its customers a variety of tempting to-go desserts. The special holiday menu, that includes specialty savory items as well, is available from December 13th to December 24th. Orders for the meatballs, lasagna and larger dessert items must be made 48 hours in advance, but the brittle and other individual items can be obtained at the Deli during their regular business hours, 7 am – 6 pm.

See below for the full Deli at Little Dom’s Holiday To-Go Menu.

Main Course
Lasagna (serves 6-8) - $48.00
Meatballs - $2.00 each

Desserts
Valrhona Chocolate Hazelnut Torte (serves 6-8) - $44.00
Italian Rustic Apple Tart w/ Pecorino (serves 6-8) - $36.00
Chocolate Roulade (serves 6-8) - $24.00
Chocolate Sparkle Cookies (1/2 dozen) - $5.50
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies (1/2 dozen) - $5.50
Oatmeal Golden Raisin Cookies (1/2 dozen) - $5.50
Shortbread (1/2 dozen) - $4.50
Pistachio Shortbread (1/2 dozen) - $4.50
Snowflake Sugar Cookies (lemon-rosemary) - $2.75 each
Little Dom’s Cocoa Cupcakes - $2.75 each
Spiced Pepita Brittle (4oz container) - $3.95 each
Torrone (Italian Almond Nougat, 5oz bag) - $5.95
Truffles: Earl Grey or Milk Chocolate Nib - $1.75 each
Gelato Half-Pints: Vanilla, Rocky Road, Salted Caramel, Peppermint Chip, Eggnog, Meyer Lemon Sorbet or Bittersweet Chocolate Orange Sorbet - $5.50 each

The Deli at Little Dom’s
2128 Hillhurst Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 661-0055

3 comments:

Esi said...

I remember when I tried to make pepita brittle a few years ago. I failed THREE TIMES!! Guess I can just go buy it :)

Anna A. said...

Mmm love Lil Dom's, but never actually set foot in the deli. I'd like to nibble on some of that brittle.

Diana said...

Esi - Haha, yeah probably easier! Though I'm tempted to try Smitten Kitchen's recipe for it now...

Anna - I've never eaten there actually! Have been wanting to go!