Monday, January 10, 2011

Platine Cookies: The Platino

The cookie aisle in the grocery store doesn’t tempt me like it did when I was a child. I can easily walk down the row without feeling any sort of lust toward the neatly packaged stacks of Chips Ahoy!, Keebler Fudge Striped and Mother’s Iced Oatmeal Cookies. They instead seem to engender the opposite reaction in me – disgust – along with pity for those who still find the processed goodies irresistible.

Even so, when I walk by the Oreo section, I can’t help but feel a pang of something. Nostalgia perhaps? A tooth ache? But maybe something more too.

There’s something about Oreos that still gets at me. While I haven’t purchased a box in years, and only then for the chocolate-covered mint variety, I love the classic composition of the cookie. The bittersweet chocolate wafers paired with the somewhat cloying vanilla frosting has always been an appealing flavor combination for me, and Oreos are one of the few things that I enjoy as much as an adult as I did as a child.

For this reason, I was thrilled when Platine Cookies, a gourmet cookie retailer operated by Pastry Chef Jamie Cantor in Culver City, came on board for Eat My Blog 3.0 this past December. I’d heard wonderful things about Cantor’s version of an Oreo called a “Platino,” and was excited to have the pristine sandwich cookies to sell at the bake sale. I was also excited to buy one for myself and was sure to set one aside to pop in my freezer for “a rainy day.”

That “rainy day” came this past Saturday afternoon. I wasn’t really in dire need of a cookie, but after my virtuous lunch of braised kale and chickpeas, I felt it only rational to reward myself for being so “healthy” – just like when I was a rewarded with dessert for finishing my milk as a child.

While the Platino is quite a bit larger than an actual Oreo and its chocolate cookies are more cake-like in texture a la a whoopie pie, Cantor has still maintained the magical essence of the boxed confection. It was pure joy sinking my teeth through the delicate fudgy cookies that are lacquered together with sweet vanilla buttercream frosting. I felt like a little girl and was half-tempted to procure a glass of milk just to make the nostalgic childhood experience completely authentic.

Sadly, my taste for milk has gone the way of the Chips Ahoy! box, and I finished my Platino with a cup of tea instead. But these sandwich cookies don’t need to be dunked in milk, or pulled a part into perfectly evenly frosted halves to be enjoyable. They are fun to eat just as they are. Of course, I might hazhard to guess that, like the original, there really is no wrong way to eat a Platino.

Platine Cookies
10850 Washington Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232
(310) 559-9933


Gastronomer said...

I never knew baked goods froze so well! I'm totally buying twice as much stuff at the next EMB ;-)

The Platino looks really yummy! Oreos and whoopie pies are BOMB!

Esi said...

Hmmm, maybe freezing is the answer to desserts I can't finish. Then I could have little bites at a time. I'll remember for the next EMB

bagnatic said...

good point with the freezing diana! i gorged on my emb loot cuz i didn't want them to go bad...tummyache.

platine cookies said...

thanks for the great shout out, Diana!
Your pictures are great, and i am so glad that we could make the kale and chickpeas a little more exciting!

Diana said...

Cathy - I didn't know either until I froze all the parting gifts I brought home with me after the cookie party at BakeLab. Now I do it all the time!

Esi - It is the answer! Though sometimes I think it is also bad for my waistline -- I always have a cookie just a defrost away!

Amy - I totally gorged that first night too -- which is why I had to put the rest in the freezer immediately!

Jamie - Thank you so much again for donating! I'm definitely going to be coming by soon to try some of your other treats! :)

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

omg the platino looks so good and i'm not a big cookie lover, but it does look cakey :) culver city ehhh...

Kung Food Panda said...

I love oreos too. In fact, I'm eating some now with milk. Good tip with freezing baked goods

Diana said...

Nastassia - I know! So far! But it's worth it - I promise! And you can buy a bunch at once and then freeze some to enjoy later! ;)

Danny - Oreos are like the little black dress of cookies - they never go out of style.

Nick said...

It's dangerous that I live across the street from Platine. The Platino is addicting.