Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Crème Caramel: Feeding my bread pudding addiction

There’s a brief moment when I think, “If I stop eating right now, I can eat the rest for dessert tonight.”

I survey the sizable hunk of Crème Caramel’s caramelized banana and fig bread pudding in front of me and shake my head with a decisive “nah.” My fork confidently crashes into the remaining tuft of warm, custard-soaked brioche bread, excising the biggest bite I’ve had yet.

My eyes instinctively close as the caramel-topped bread pudding deflates on my tongue, releasing the slightest hint of salty pork from the bacon fat that was used to caramelize the ripe slices of banana.

“I’m in trouble now,” I think as I spear the last chunk with my fork, careful to drag it through the remaining drizzle of caramel on my plate.

When I first discovered that Crème Caramel, a Los Angeles-based dessert company, would be selling its specialty crème caramel (chilled custard French flan) and bread pudding at my local farmer’s market on Melrose Place in West Hollywood every Sunday, I was thrilled. I’d had the opportunity to snag a taste of their popular bacon bread pudding at Eat My Blog this past December and was eager to dig into a full-sized version that I could horde all to myself.

But now, post-hording, I realize that this could quickly become a dangerous addiction. It was far too easy to pick up the $5 bread pudding that morning while I was doing my usual market shopping for kale, pink lady apples and Brussels sprouts. It was also far too easy to heat and serve the individual-sized treat. I simply preheated my oven to 325 degrees, unwrapped the cellophane and then stuck the convenient bread pudding tin on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. An ample drizzle of caramel later, and my tongue was in business.

The only thing that isn’t easy when it comes to Crème Caramel’s products is saying “no” to them. Especially when greeted with Founder Kristine de la Cruz’s infectious smile on a Sunday morning. It’s better than a cup of coffee – and, incidently, is the perfect companion to her equally delightful sweet treats.

Crème Caramel is available every Sunday from 10 am – 2 pm at the Melrose Place Farmer’s Market in West Hollywood. To learn about special “secret menu” items, follow @CremeCaramelLA on Twitter.

Ordering information can be found on their
website and blog.


Anne said...

Bread pudding to go?! Wow, don't tell my husband. Seriously. He lives for bread pudding. Especially ones that look as mouthwatering as this one does!

Esi said...

I think you have a bread pudding addiction...just saying. It's not a bad thing though.

Crème Caramel LA said...

:) Gracias for the lovely post.

Monet said...

I love bread pudding...but I always end up making far more than I can eat. I would love to be able to pick up a small little pan of bread pudding at the farmer's market. If only I lived closer ;-)

Jenny said...

Alright, this Sunday I am GOING to try some! Stay tuned for my review!
And can we Puh-Lease go on a dessert date!?

Hit me up!
Dessert Darling

alex said...

wow.. looks yummy..

Edina MN Realty
Minnesota Real Estate
Local Internet Marketing
Gift Baskets
baby gift baskets
Christmas Gift Baskets

gourmetpigs said...

I've had their creme caramel, but wow that bread pudding looks decadent - for lack of a better word. And I do love figs so much.

Gastronomer said...

Christine ROCKS! And so do her bread puddings :-) To think, we knew her way back when...

z toko said...

I found the perfect place for my needs. Contains wonderful and useful messages. I have read most of them and has a lot of them.
harga cmp chlorophyll mint powder

z toko said...

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for a while and yours is the best I've found out so far.
obat pelangsing perut