Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cham Korean Bistro's Tofu Crouton Salad - I've got sunshine on a rainy day

Last Wednesday night I drove two and a half hours, battling rain, traffic, and impatient Los Angeles drivers, and all I have to show for it is this Tofu Crouton Salad from Cham Korean Bistro in Pasadena.

Well, that, the joy that comes from spending time with good friends, and a bowl of the casual, health-conscious eatery’s addictive Beef Bulgogi Rice Cakes ($8).

All very worthy lights at the end of that dark and dreary traffic tunnel.

Especially the company and Tofu Crouton Salad ($3 for the small portion).

Of course, when I first pulled into the parking garage underneath the restaurant on Cordova Street, my legs stiff and sore from the crawl from Santa Monica, I didn’t think that anything would make the effort worth the long while it took to get there.

Least of all a tofu crouton salad with fried tofu, butter lettuce, sautéed kale, spicy sunflower seeds, and black sesame vinaigrette.

While I love salads – and would even go so far to say that a well-composed quinoa salad is my version of a vat of macaroni and cheese on a dreary day – I didn’t have particularly high expectations for a leafy affair composed of two inherently bland ingredients – tofu and butter lettuce.

But I love kale, sunflower seeds and anything sesame-flavored, and after my long, delayed trek, I was starving for some form of immediate gratification.

So salad it was.

When it arrived at the table, the fried tofu croutons, sunflower seeds, warm kale and sesame dressing neatly nestled into each butter lettuce cup on the plate, I was even less optimistic about its potential. It looked like just an ordinary salad.


And then I took a bite.

The tofu and kale were warm, the sesame dressing, sweet and addicting. The spiced sunflower seeds countered the dressing with just the right amount of heat, and when all components were tucked inside a crisp butter lettuce cup, it was the perfect bite.

And the perfect little ray of sunshine on a rainy day.

Cham Korean Bistro
851 Cordova Street
Pasadena, CA 91101-2675
(626) 792-2474

8 comments:

Anna A. said...

Man, I mean, Woman, I would crush this salad!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

that was a fun night! and those rice cakes really are crazy addictive!

bagnatic said...

you're the best at describing salads! that sounds really good.

Gastronomer said...

I'm TOTALLY getting this on my next trip to Cham. Can't believe you didn't share!

Ashley said...

I have a plan: Pasadena flea market + Cham Bistro. Let's make it happen next month (first Sunday).

Kung Food Panda said...

You're a true warrior D. It looks like you ladies really like Cham!

Facepalm said...

I like your Blog and your posts are very informative. Very inspiring. I’ve recently set up a Blog about cooking and was looking around for inspiration and came across this page and I have to say I’m impressed with your dedication and hope that mine can reach this level someday. Congratulations
If you would like to check out my Blog and give me some pointers I would be very appreciative.
http://howtocookanegg.blogspot.com/
Thanks

Diana said...

Anna - Haha, those poor tofu croutons wouldn't know what hit them! ;)

Nastassia - We have to plan another eating adventure soon!

Amy - Haha, except when those salads contain raw kernals of rice and woeful bits of Costco-style chicken breast... ;)

Cathy - I couldn't spare a square... of tofu. ;)

Ashley - Done and DONE.

Danny - Yep, a road warrier until the police man pulls me over for tweeting. Wah wah. Never ever again!

Facepalm - Thanks so much for the kind words! It's always nice to hear that someone finds my ramblings informative! Thanks again for stopping by!