Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summer Frittata: One last taste

It was dark when I walked home from work tonight.

I stared up at the sky feeling the change in the air, an ever so slight chill slicing through the oppressive heat that's been, quite literally, steamrolling Los Angeles for the past month.

"How did it happen so quickly?" I wondered, struck by the unexpected darkness, the coquettish breeze, the curt nod toward fall.

I know what's coming.
I tasted it when I took a bite of a not-quite-sweet yellow nectarine on Friday, my lips puckering at the sour tang of the flesh. I felt it in the warm embrace of a long striped cardigan I tried on at Anthropologie on Sunday. I heard it when I took a big bite of a crunchy honeycrisp apple this afternoon.

I'm torn between wanting to cling to summer -- to the white dress I didn't wear nearly enough, to the fedora I probably wore too much, to the hot fling I didn't have -- and wanting to run as fast as I can into the arms of autumn.

At the very least so I can turn on my oven without suffering heat stroke.


I'm ready for the chill. Ready to replace my bowls of cold quinoa cereal with cuddly bowls of cinnamon-scented oatmeal. Ready to stomp on leaves in my tall bad ass black boots.

Ready for Jess and Nick to finally get together on "The New Girl."

But not before I savor every last flavor of summer. Even if it means cramming all of them into a frittata.

Summer Frittata
Serves 1

Notes: This frittata is a mash up of all my favorite summer produce -- lush heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, vibrant green zucchini squash, and pungent basil leaves. It screams the season so loudly it's almost deafening. Enjoy it. And serve it with the thickest slice of avocado toast you can muster.


2 eggs
1/2 heirloom tomato, sliced into 1/8 inch slices
2 tablespoons sweet corn, cooked and shucked from the cob
1-inch piece of a zucchini, sliced into paper thin slices
1 tablespoon milk
Goat cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt, pepper
Fresh basil, sliced

Heat a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a small (6-8'') cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and saute until just tender, approximately one minute. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Rinse out the pan and wipe clean.

Preheat the broiler to 500 degrees.

Crack the two eggs in a small bowl. Add the splash of milk, season with salt and pepper, and whisk together. Add the cooled zucchini and corn.

Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Use a spatula to spread across the entire surface of the pan. Pour in the egg mixture and let settle for one minute before nudging the edges in with a spatula so that the uncooked center runs out to the sides. You may need to tilt the pan a bit so the runny eggs run to the underside of the pan.

Arrange the tomato slices on the top of the frittata and cook for another minute or so or until the edges are set and the center is just a bit puddly in appearance.

Remove the pan from the stove, sprinkle with goat cheese, and place under the broiler for a minute (maybe two) or until the top of the frittata is puffed and set and the tomatoes are lightly caramelized. Remove from the broiler and let sit for a couple minutes before sliding out of the pan onto a plate. Garnish with fresh basil.


4 comments:

Gastronomer said...

I'm ready to fall into fall, too. 'Cept I hate it when it gets dark early. Hate it.

Diana said...

Cathy - Agreed! Though I hate the dark mornings even more! I can barely peel myself out of bed as it is!

The Duo Dishes said...

Isn't it crazy that the summer is already over? It feels like we didn't get to eat enough of the awesome produce available during these months. Thanks for giving us one last recipe ode to the summer!

ALINA chen said...

sac a main chanel

sac a main dolce gabbana

sac a main ed hardy

sac a main fendi

sac a main gucci

sac a main louis vuitton

sac a main guess

sac a main chloe