Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sound Bites: San Francisco Edition


Because there's not always time for a full meal...

1. The recipe I'm dying to make - Quinoa with almond, cauliflower, popped sorghum via Daniel Patterson's Coi: Stories and Recipes. Because, quinoa. And also, I'm fascinated by the idea of popping sorghum seeds like popcorn. This is going to make for a pretty crrrrazy Saturday night some time in the not too distant future.

2. My new obsession - BART. I was in the Bay Area last month for less than 24 hours and even though I have the navigational intelligence of someone who has very terrible navigational intelligence, I decided to use BART to get from the Oakland Airport to San Francisco and then onward to my final destination in the East Bay (Concord). It was easy, cheap, fairly devoid of offensive smells, and I got to tell everyone about it when I got back to LA like it was no big thing. "Oh yeah, I took the BART… got off at the 16th St. Mission stop." See how hella cool that sounds? (Note: They don't say "hella" in the Bay Area - that's just me being hella dorky.)

3. Where I'm eating - Tartine aka the whole reason I made a detour from my final East Bay destination. I walked in with a giant Adidas backpack and kept bumping into people's heads with it like a tourist with no navigational intelligence, but it was all worth it for… the sandwich. Peppered turkey smothered with melted provolone and broccoli rabe pesto sandwiched (as sandwiches are) between two crusty, grilled slices of the best white country bread in existence. This is probably hyperbolic, but, you guys, the bread. It completely overshadowed the banana cream tart I ate for dessert and the crispy, infant head-sized chocolate chip cookie I ate for breakfast the next morning. Did I mention I'm having a hard time buttoning my jeans this month? Yep, pretty much.

1 comment:

H. C. said...

Those Tartine sandwiches are no joke! That & its pastries is why it's always my last stop in SF, so I can have delicious souvenirs en route to & back in LA!